The Perils of LBA and GAS

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TonyTurley, Dec 17, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I've now nearly emptied my piggybank to get myself some camera goodies for Christmas. In addition to the Pentax K-30, I found an Asahi Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 in a K mount for the Pentax DSLR, and a complete set of Yashica Yashikor 28mm f/2.8 and 135mm f/2.8 lenses, with caps and original carrying case, for only $60 shipped. The nice thing about the Yashica lenses is they are M42, so I can use them on both the Nex-5R and the K-30.

I suppose at some point I should let the piggy bank build and get a premium lens, but I'm having too much fun. Why stop now? :D

Tony

• Like Like x 2
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I agree, it's more fun to buy a number of lenses on the cheap than just buy one expensive lens. That said, yesterday I bid on a Voigtländer 40/1.4 and won which set me back some € 350. :eek_old: After getting an A7 as well, that forces me to ease a little, well a lot really. Fortunately I still have enough lenses that I want to try out on the A7.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nate_Dogg

Nate_Dogg TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Nate Pfeifer
    I have the same problem - I wish I could save up for the FE 55 1.8, 35 2.8, and 24-70 f4. However, I keep finding myself buying less expensive, but high quality, legacy glass -- it just too much fun collecting/playing with them.

Man, talk about your 'first world problems'... :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Glad to see I'm not alone. I've looked at some of the premium legacy glass, and I just haven't been able to bring myself to chunk down large amounts of cash on a Voigtländer, Leica, CZ, or some of the other lenses that show up on the market. Maybe some day.

Tony

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That's true. But the few times I've bought a (for me) really expensive lens, I've never been disappointed, and they've often gone on to be the lenses that seem to find their way into my camera bag almost every time I go out. I'm thinking of the SEL1018 and SEL24F18Z, and now the SEL35F28Z. Maybe it's just my perception, but "you get what you pay for" seems truer than ever with modern lenses.

That said, the quirky Industar-61L/D 55mm has a special place in my heart. I don't use it nearly enough. But I doubt that I'll part with it any time soon.

• Like Like x 1
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I can only say something about the SEL1018 and that's easy: if you want wide-angle for Sony E-mount, there's hardly any other viable option. I've never regretted the money I spent on it. The Zeiss lenses look like something special indeed, but I'm having trouble spending € 700 on a 35/2.8 lens no matter how good it is when my Minolta 35/2.8 looks quite competent at € 35 or so. On the other hand, I'm really looking forward to the Sony FE 70-200/4 which is an attractive option for both A7 and NEX-6; if it's really good, I'm willing to spend serious money on that. It looks like I'll have enough time to save up before it'll become available :).

• Like Like x 2
  7. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    It's fun to play with these old lenses, plus there's a big difference between dropping $500 on a lens now or 100 on a bunch over a year. And you never know what you're going to pull out of this bag, which is part of fun. Some of the lenses I got as part of a $20 bag are really nice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  8. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I am definitely in the all-eggs-in-one-basket type of shopper. Since I ordered the A7, I've also bought the FD 85/1.2L and FE 55/1.8Z to shift up a gear... on top of the kit lens. All since going back to grad school. I dare not look at my bank balance :(

9. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Nice gear, but . . . Yikes!

Tony