The OTHER use of the 100-400GM...

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I bought mine because I'd always wanted to shoot wildlife and it seemed a natural choice. But, it is also really good for daytime sports. I was on the opposite end of the field, and still could bring this in. Love this lens. (The blur at bottom left center is the fence in front of me.)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Except for the extra reach, I like the smaller form factor of the 70-300G. It was nice to bring in shots from farther down the field AND I always have a 1.4X (though not likely as much for sports). Make me CHOOSE and I'd take the 70-300G for the cost and smaller size. I know that's probably contrary to most other opinions because the 100-400 is a GM lens, but that's my take. I will say that when I went shooting birds with a friend from Nikon Cafe, he used a Z7, adapter and Sigma 150-600. THAT made the 100-400GM feel like a pancake lens! It had to be twice as heavy.

Lastly, DSLRKit sells a tripod collar for the 70-300G. DON'T buy it. Your hand can't hold the camera grip fully, not even close. And I don't have large hands. Nice idea, made really well, but literally terrible grip on the camera body. Unless that doesn't matter...

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
100-400 from the stands so I can enjoy our son's game with my wife... he's the D-pole on the face-off in green.

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
That looks potentially painful. :eek:

Nice shot, though. :thumbup:

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I can see this morning that in my haste to post, I blew out the highlights on his helmet. Oh well... here's another of him in a crowd, and a couple of others of his teammates. The sun was in and out all day with broken rain clouds, so the color moves around a bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom