1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Nikon 50mm 1.8 AI-S Pancake (not the Series E)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by JonathanF2, Mar 30, 2016.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    A lot of people think the Nikon 50mm 1.8 AI-S pancake and Nikon 50mm 1.8 Series E are the same or similar lenses, but I've owned both and I think the the non-E is the better of the two. It's slightly sharper wide open and has a bit better contrast. You can usually find the two priced similarly, but I'd definitely opt for the non-E version. There's a small click stop for f/2 that I leave the aperture at. To be honest the 1.8 setting is more for show. ;)

I believe this was the last MF 50mm 1.8 lens Nikon released before going AF. Anyways, here are a couple samples on the Sony A7! :)

Sony A7 and Nikon 50mm 1.8 AI-S:
    DSC03602.

DSC03564.

• Like Like x 11
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Great framing in #1 !

3. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Thanks! I'm continually amazed at how much better my MF glass looks on the A7. Everything just feels a bit sharper than my Nikon FF bodies.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Well done, great results

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Excellent glass! Like how the 2nd shot turned out.

6. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    The glass holds up quite well on the modern sensor. The ability to remove the CA from older lenses is a big reason to shoot raw. Also the nice thing about the Sony FF sensor is the ability to pull detail in the highlights.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. RnR

RnR TalkEmount Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
  8. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    So Jonathan... How do you tell them apart? I'd hate to buy one thinking that I am getting the other... Is it the silver ring in the middle (the pancake)?

--- edit ---

OK, so I did some research and the silver ring is not the indicator, both the second version of the E as well as the pancake have the silver ring. From what I can see, the only way to tell the pancake is that it doesn't say "SERIES E" on the front. Am I wrong about this? I also notice that the first version SERIES E is flatter than the pancake (which is irrelevant if the optics in the pancake are superior). And am I wrong about this!?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  9. BrorSvensson

BrorSvensson TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2015

10. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Not sure why you referenced my post when you posted this video. It didn't tell me anything I hadn't already determined. It was a little too elementary for my use. Perhaps others will find it useful however. Thanks for posting for them.

11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The Series-E is a plastic-bodied lens. Series-E was their budget line. And as you surmised, will state Series-E on the face plate.

12. BrorSvensson

BrorSvensson TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    i didn't read the edited post, sorry

13. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Hi Tom, this site is one of the most comprehensive sites regarding Nikon lenses:

Nikon Lenses

In regards to the 50mm 1.8 AI-S pancake, yes the Series E version will have it written on front, regardless if it has a silver ring or not (ver. I and II). The Nikkor version will say Nikon Nikkor. In fact there are two versions of this lens. There was a Japan only version that came with a rubber ring (the international copy has a plastic ring) and it actually focuses closer. You can usually buy the Japan version from a Japanese importer on Ebay, but I personally don't think it's worth the trouble or extra cost unless you need to have that closer focusing.

Yes, the Version I Series E is the most compact Nikon 50mm, but honestly the build quality isn't that great and I'd rather pay a few dollars extra for the ver. II Series E or the Nikkor 50mm pancake.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Wow, it sure is! Thanks Jonathan

• Agree Agree x 1