1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The New Vello Nikon F Adapter

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by slothead, Aug 30, 2016.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I am supposed to get my Vello Nikon F auto adapter from B&H today. I'll be sure and let you guys know how well it works. I have all kinds of Nikon lenses I want to hang on my a6300! It is supposed to autofocus, auto VR (vibration reduction) and read data (like aperture). It should be great!

• Like Like x 3
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    :popcorm2:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    OK, a real quick (10 minutes) test that was poorly planned, poorly conducted and in poor lighting. It was about 7:30 August 30 and the subject was in the shade of the house (one big shadow). I was also shooting through a glass window (between venetian blinds), so the ones that worked moderately well were real successes!
    I tried the Vello Auto Adapter with a few Nikkors on the a6300. Here are the quick results...

With the 12-24mm f/2.8 - It wouldn't auto focus at all!
    With the 300mm f/2.8 ED IF (this is a pretty old lens) - it focused but slowly
    With the 200-500 f/5.6 (zoomed to 500mm only) - it focused really slowly
    With the 24-120 f/4 (zoomed to 120mm only) - focused reasonably fast, but not Earth-shattering
    With the 300mm f/4E PF - focused reasonably fast, but not as fast as it does with the native Nikons
    With the 200-400 f/4 VR (Zoomed to 400mm only) - Focusing speed depended on the amount of contrast in the subject.

Almost all of these lenses were VR (vibration reduction - Nikon's term for OSS), but I didn't sense that the VR was activated with the shutter release in any case (although I was not watching/listening for this).

I'll try some of these lenses again in brighter daylight tomorrow.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Hi Tom,

I have the Commlite version of this adapter. Everything is identical, except that the Vello adapter has better warranty and support coverage in the US. I use my adapter mainly with the f/1.8 G primes such as the 20mm, 50mm and 85mm lenses. In my opinion it's with fast primes that the adapter works best with.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    OK, Time for an update:
    I'm slow in reporting this and I hope I don't forget the details, but yesterday I made some more tests in better light. I also added some fast fixed primes to the test regimen. I tested to old AF-D lenses and neither of them would autofocus at all! These were the 50mm f/1.4 and the 20mm f/2.8. These should have been fast enough to allow good AF, but they did not AF at all, not even a hint of reaction. I'm thinking there there is a setting that I have misconfigured, but so far I have not found what that might be. A similar result was seen with the 85mm f/1.4 (again), and that too also suggests a wrong setting that I still need to find.

I also tested the 300mm f/4E PF and it worked much better than it did the night before, but still not as good as it does on a Nikon body.

I also tested the 200-400 f/4 VR and it worked well at 200mm, but not quite so well at 400mm, in fact it was doing some hunting at the 400mm setting - which in my mind is a complete failure. And that is odd since the lens is supposed to be a constant aperture version.

I also tested the 200-500 f/5.6 and it worked slightly worse than the 200-400 at both ends of the range (which I expected with the smaller aperture of f/5.6).

That's all I have for now. I'll add more info later (if I decide to keep the adapter).

• Informative Informative x 1