The New Vello Nikon F Adapter

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by slothead, Aug 30, 2016.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I am supposed to get my Vello Nikon F auto adapter from B&H today. I'll be sure and let you guys know how well it works. I have all kinds of Nikon lenses I want to hang on my a6300! It is supposed to autofocus, auto VR (vibration reduction) and read data (like aperture). It should be great!

• Like Like x 3
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    :popcorm2:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    OK, a real quick (10 minutes) test that was poorly planned, poorly conducted and in poor lighting. It was about 7:30 August 30 and the subject was in the shade of the house (one big shadow). I was also shooting through a glass window (between venetian blinds), so the ones that worked moderately well were real successes!
    I tried the Vello Auto Adapter with a few Nikkors on the a6300. Here are the quick results...

With the 12-24mm f/2.8 - It wouldn't auto focus at all!
    With the 300mm f/2.8 ED IF (this is a pretty old lens) - it focused but slowly
    With the 200-500 f/5.6 (zoomed to 500mm only) - it focused really slowly
    With the 24-120 f/4 (zoomed to 120mm only) - focused reasonably fast, but not Earth-shattering
    With the 300mm f/4E PF - focused reasonably fast, but not as fast as it does with the native Nikons
    With the 200-400 f/4 VR (Zoomed to 400mm only) - Focusing speed depended on the amount of contrast in the subject.

Almost all of these lenses were VR (vibration reduction - Nikon's term for OSS), but I didn't sense that the VR was activated with the shutter release in any case (although I was not watching/listening for this).

I'll try some of these lenses again in brighter daylight tomorrow.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Hi Tom,

I have the Commlite version of this adapter. Everything is identical, except that the Vello adapter has better warranty and support coverage in the US. I use my adapter mainly with the f/1.8 G primes such as the 20mm, 50mm and 85mm lenses. In my opinion it's with fast primes that the adapter works best with.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    OK, Time for an update:
    I'm slow in reporting this and I hope I don't forget the details, but yesterday I made some more tests in better light. I also added some fast fixed primes to the test regimen. I tested to old AF-D lenses and neither of them would autofocus at all! These were the 50mm f/1.4 and the 20mm f/2.8. These should have been fast enough to allow good AF, but they did not AF at all, not even a hint of reaction. I'm thinking there there is a setting that I have misconfigured, but so far I have not found what that might be. A similar result was seen with the 85mm f/1.4 (again), and that too also suggests a wrong setting that I still need to find.

I also tested the 300mm f/4E PF and it worked much better than it did the night before, but still not as good as it does on a Nikon body.

I also tested the 200-400 f/4 VR and it worked well at 200mm, but not quite so well at 400mm, in fact it was doing some hunting at the 400mm setting - which in my mind is a complete failure. And that is odd since the lens is supposed to be a constant aperture version.

I also tested the 200-500 f/5.6 and it worked slightly worse than the 200-400 at both ends of the range (which I expected with the smaller aperture of f/5.6).

That's all I have for now. I'll add more info later (if I decide to keep the adapter).

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.