• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

The new Sony A7Siii

You going to buy one?

• Total voters

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
If you haven't heard, Sony announced the A7Siii today. $3500, shipping September 24th, available for pre-orders now.

Looks to be a beast of a camera for video folks, while still doing pretty well in the stills department given a 12mp sensor. Some of the things I noted (but there are more):
* Full touchscreen implementation, and a totally new menu and user interface (UI) that is touchscreen-enabled as well
* A new Bionz processor (which is what records your image/video and drives the UI), I think I read it is 8x faster that the current one - probably needed for the new UI
* Flippy screen (vloggers rejoice) and a new gorgeous-sounding 9mp EVF
* All the autofocus goodies from recent cameras plus new things for video (for example, adjustable-speed live autofocus transitions between subjects, kind of cool)
* It does all the popular video formats plus a new one from Sony, and additional profiles
* They seem to have fixed overheating and recording time limitations
* Supports SD cards and the same dual slots also take CFExpress Type A cards - a new type of very high-speed memory card Sony is going to be offering, only necessary for the more extreme features

Not a camera for me, but I bet they will sell a lot of them to serious videographers.

I am going to go out on a limb and say the new Bionz XR and the new UI is going to show up in every new Alpha camera in the future. Which could be a good thing.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's another not-so-technical marketing piece from Sony.

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
It sounds like it would be great for me, except the price rules it out completely :(
I think it might have replaced the A9ii as my dream option for when my A7ii gives up the ghost. With luck that will be >5 years away so prices might be within my grasp by then.
Low light performance is something I'd find more useful than excessive MP, If I'm not cropping hard 12MP is plenty.

Last edited:

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
We are getting a glimpse of some of the features that will be in the upcoming A7IV. I think I would rather wait to see how that plays out.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
This camera is not for me as I don't do a lot of video work but the most exciting part is the fully enabled and fully articulating touchscreen. About time Sony ☺

The A7Sm3 is not for me, I want at least a 24 MP sensor and preferably around 40 MP and paying extra for video features is money wasted as far as I'm concerned. I once tried if video was working on my A7Rm4 to know if I had to return it; it seemed to work and that was the last time I used it. I bet a lot of the new features will find their way into other future Sony models, including APS-C cameras and the RX10 and RX100 series. Going by the videographers' comments Sony did a great job with the A7Sm3 :thumbup:.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am certain the new processor and UI will be on all new cameras. The new processor may finally facilitate lossless compression on Sony bodies (sorely needed for a long time). And the new menus should eliminate much of the whining over Sony menus. Honestly, I almost never go into the menus outside of the My Menu or when I am first setting it up, but it was always a big reviewer's point against Sony.

I watched Gerald Undone's review. He liked the camera so much, instead of a Canon C300 cine camera, he pre-ordered a pair of A7SM3s.

Top Bottom