1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The new NEX cameras and the old NEX cameras

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dixeyk, Sep 14, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I think the new NEX 5r and 6 look to be wonderful cameras. As soon as I saw them I started thinking what can I sell to afford that new NEX6...then it hit me, I didn't need to upgrade. Don't get me wrong the NEX6 looks to be a very appealing package but for my particular needs I really don't need it. I use the NEX for manual focus lenses only so the new and presumably fast AF is not needed. I have a Sigma 30 but it's for sale so my various Konica, Olympus and FSU lenses won't see any benefit from the AF. I shoot available light so neither the flash nor the hot shoe is really all that important for me. The EVF is appealing and probably represents the closest thing to a need but i HAVE been doing just fine with the rear LCD (even in bright sunlight). The added WiFi is cool as are the downloadable apps but again I can live without them.

In fact it occurs to me that I could go all the way back to the NEX3 and NEX5 and still have very functional cameras. I started to think about what WOULD make a difference for me. What would be so compelling that I would upgrade? A more comfortable body, a clickable thumb wheel (thank you Panasonic for making that such an issue with me) and significantly better IQ top the list. The C3 is actually pretty comfy in my hand. I tried a 5n and it also feels good but I don't find that it feels THAT different to me. I really do like the thumbwheel and mode dial on the 6...a lot. The new cameras certainly have improved IQ but by how much?

I'm excited to see the reviews on the new cameras and see what folks think of them when they get into people's hands but I'm good for now. I'm not feeling any urge to upgrade. I may at some point but right now it seems under control. Now, if I decide to try out that 35/1.8 and start feeling all warm and fuzzy about AF again then all bets are off. For now however I'll keep bopping along with my C3.

2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah, I am comfortable with what I have. Last night I bought the 50f1.8 and it's everything I could have asked for. I especially like how unique and futuristic my silver 5N looks with it and the EVF on. Didn't think I'd be such a sucker for looks but I guess I am. :) I mostly shoot manual these days so I guess I only bought it for OSS, but it is a nice sharp lens and cheap for what it gives. I can't see a new body making a significant impact on IQ

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Very wise post. I'm affraid I'm at the antipodes of how you feel. I want a 6 and feel I actually need one.
    Coming from the GX-1 like you Kevin (it gold sold yesterday, good bye old friend) the 5N constantly feels like a very primitive camera to shoot. I have my controls petty well sorted and am getting more and more comfortable with the camera, and like you I'm on a strict MF regimen, I have never even shot the 18-55 I bought as a crutch. So far MF has felt so wonderfully different, and such an exciting challenge, AF is rather far on my mind right now.
    However,I truly believe focus would be even more useful using an EVF (which is being confirmer by pretty much anybody who's done it), and I'm normally using my SB-600 flash daily, which I haven't found a way to make work with the 5N so far, despiting getting an add-on regular shoe (that doeesn't work, bummer).
    All the extra controls on the 6 should (hopefully) make my shooting more comfortable. I also hope it's a globally snappier camera than the 5N? which I find on the leisurely side in operation, compared to the very business like GX-1. Here are my thouhgts. I almost never buy new, especially not upon release (although I sort of did with the Panny) but I doubt I can resist getting the 6 around Xmas, or at the best, immediately after.

4. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    I have been really pleased (and quite impressed) with my NEX 3 wich produces excellent 20x16 inch prints. The only things I don't like are the lack of viewfinder and lack of flash sync/hot shoe. I bought the NEX 3 after some months of watching the prices and once the basic price had dropped to half the launch price I aquired one.

It has been my intention to do the same with the NEX 7 but the price has stayed constant since launch. If NEX 6 starts to drop in price i will start scraping my pennies together for a 'body only' buy.

The difference in pixel count between the 3's 14 million and the later 16 million sensors counts for nothing in large prints,....I have proved that by comparison against the Nikon 5100(owned by a friend) which has the Sony 16mil sensor similar to later NEX's

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    agree

I totally agree. While I am excited about the 6 and 7 and will eventually upgrade, I am in no hurry to do so.

I have the original 3 and was able to pick it up on an open box deal at Best Buy for around $400.00. One of the selling points for me was the not much more price than the superzoom I was shopping.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    There are lots of good reasons to want a new camera. I am long time gadget lover so I typically I need very few reasons to buy new stuff. And for the record I would LOVE a new NEX6 but if I am honest with myself I really don't NEED it. I'm not really sure why I have suddenly become burdened with sound judgement right now...maybe it's something I ate...or maybe it just reflects the fact that NEX cameras are pretty nice and even if you have the bottom of the line model (or an older model) you can still find a lot to like about it.

Like I said, I am looking forward to seeing what you folks think of the NEX6 and NEX5r. Just because I don't want any dessert it doesn't mean I have a problem with cake.