1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The moon

Discussion in 'Nature' started by ecaggiani, Jul 18, 2013.

1. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Shot this last night with my NEX-3N using a Tamron 70-300mm mounted with the LA-EA2 adapter.
    p1845650972-5.

p.s. Ok, I cheated a little with this photo. It's actually a composite of two photos. I couldn't get the moon to look good with the trees in front, so I shot the moon directly (no trees), then placed it under the trees from another shot using Photoshop. :)

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It's the end result that matters. ;)

3. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    I agree with that, though I know there are purists who think otherwise, which is fine. We all have our own methods :)

On another note, how would I be able to shoot something like this totally in camera? I fiddled with settings and could not get the trees to show up when the moon was properly showing, and when I could see the trees, the moon was way too bright and blown out.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    You need to use a long lens and get back away from the foreground so you can get both in focus. Then you expose for the moon.

5. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Thanks! Yeah I figured that being farther away would help with the focus (I couldn't get any farther since I was in my back patio up against the house already), but if I expose for the moon, wouldn't it be way too dark for the trees? Or would there be more light gathered at a distance?

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    You'll get the silhouette of the trees superimposed on the moon. If you want all the trees visible you'd have to use another light source to illuminate them against the black sky. Or shoot earlier in the evening before the sky gets dark.

7. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Got it. thanks!

Sent from my EVO using TalkNEX mobile app