The little brown truck delivered the Rode Videomic Pro yesterday...

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by roundball, Mar 5, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I looked it over, read through the little brochure, installed a 9 volt battery, and slid on the 'dead cat wind muff'.
    Went to mount it on my NEX-7.....and discovered Sony uses a unique proprietary Hot-Shoe design !!
    Non-Sony accessories won't just slide on and mount...had to order a little hot-shoe-adapter (Pixel TF-325).
    The good news its an inexpensive little thing but now it'll be another 4 days wait until I can test the shotgun MIC (Saturday).

I have to say, in all the years of buying / using Canon AE1's, AE1-Ps, A1s and lots of Canon lenses / motor drives, Sunpak flashes, etc...by comparison I've never been so aware of all the annoying add-on issues like I've experienced with the Sony NEX-7 as I've finally become with this latest hot shoe issue.

Adding a half case to prevent the Sony rubber cover from peeling off and to increase grip size bulk for big hands
    Adding the video button Guard ring to prevent inadvertent video start-ups
    Adding a stick-on shield to protect the LCD screen from scratches
    Upgrading to a larger eye cup to better block out extraneous light when using the EVF
    Now having to add a hot-shoe adapter
    :rolleyes:

Sorry for the minor rant, but this latest issue just pushed me over the top...LOL

2. BlueBill

BlueBill TalkEmount Regular

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    The newer cameras and the NEX7 updates (A6000,A7...) finally use a proper hot-shoe.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Sony's always been that way, they have to have their own special accessories.

A bit annoying, but it is what it is

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I feel your pain, roundball. But in Sony's defense, they have been slowly moving in the right direction. Remember when their cameras only took their proprietary memory stick cards?

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    In fact the old (or should we say middle?) Minolta hot shoe is mechanically much better than ISO hot shoe. Minolta was about 10 years ahead others in flash technology too. Unfortunately now times very few flash manufacturers make flashes to the Minolta hot shoe and I think that there isn't a single third party flash manufacturer making flashes to the new Sony hot shoe.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    LOL...didn't know that.
    I only just discovered that Sony even made cameras last summer (2013) when I stumbled across a blog about cameras that would put my entire Canon FD lens inventory (that I'd saved all these years) back into play...jumped on the NEX-7...and other than the handful of irritants I mentioned above, couldn't be more pleased with the actual photo results I've been getting.

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    History of Konica/Minolta/Sony cameras are pretty fascinating reading. They may be prime example in camera business how not to conduct a business, technology that is better but doesn't follow standards isn't going to sell. Even Sony experiments too much and I think that changing the flash shoe to ISO shoe wasn't good move from them (there are too few manual flash users there and third parties aren't interested in Sony anyway).

8. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Sony, as a whole, has a long history of trying to promote homegrown, proprietary or "preferred" standards. Sometimes it works for them (e.g., Blu-Ray), and sometimes it doesn't (e.g., Betamax, MiniDisc, MemoryStick). ;)

9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, no test results to report because the Hot Shoe adapter didn't make it in today's mail as forecast...looks like it'll be Monday now

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Hot Shoe arrived and mounted OK, good thumb wheel lock, etc...Rode VideoMIC also mounts in the Hot Shoe OK.

(have not tested any Flash units on it yet)