The List

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Nov 16, 2017.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    It's dark when I get up and dark when I come home so I thought I pass the time with some silliness.

Biggest surprise - Nikkor-O 35/2
    It's a great lens and if I was forced to have just one lens it would be this one. I got it on a whim, it was a bargain at around $80, it arrived in really nice shape and I'm constantly blown away by what it's capable of. It also looks friggin' ancient so that's nice to have bolted to the front of my NEX. I especially like when folks get all confused looking at it. It's like I'm holding some sort of alien artifact.

Biggest regret - Every time I buy a 24mm lens
    I don't know why I keep buying them. I've had 4 Minoltas (2 MC and 2 MD), 4 Olympus OM, Canon FD, three Konicas and a Nikkor N. Of all of the 24's that I've owned I like the Nikkor the best and a pox on the Olympus. I buy them, they sit around, I get tired of them and sell them to buy something I want. Then I think "Oh No, I don't have a 24mm" and buy another one. :eek-30:

Lens I like that I'll never buy again - Olympus Pen-F 38/1.8
    Great lens but every single one I've bought over the past year has either had fungus, oil, been broken or had some other malady. I've been cursed to never own one again.

Lens I think I want but really don't - any RF lens
    I know there are some amazing RF lenses and from time to time I start the process of talking myself into buying one then I remember the close focus distance his about a half a mile and ditch the idea.

Lens I want but will never own - Leica Summi-whatever
    I'd rather spend the money on traveling somewhere.

Lens I want and could buy - Nikkor 85/1.8 "Blowup Lens"
    I have become enamored of older Nikkors and the 85/1.8 seems within reach. And yes, it's because I'm a fan of the film.

Best lens I own but never use - Nikon 28/2 AiS
    It's a great lens but I always grab the Nikkor 35/2 or 24/2.8 instead. I'm not sure why really because it really is quite special. It's even more so because I snagged it for $100.

Lens I have that I wish I liked more - Minolta MC 24/2.8
    It is in like new condition and has that suuuuper smooth Minolta focus action. It even sports a red dot. I still don't know why I don't love it. It's not like the Olympus OM 24/2.8 which I simply loathe. I just forget I have the damned thing. The poor lens is gonna need counseling.

Feel free to add...or not.

It's shaping up to be a looooong dull gray Winter up here. :frown:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That is a nice way to evaluate your lenses collection.
    Lenses I thought I wanted but really didn't
    I thought I wanted RF lenses for street photography, in particular the Minolta M-Rokkor 2/40 and 2.8/28. I started with the 40mm, bought it for € 350 on eBay and started working with it. It's a beautiful piece of machinery but optically it disappointed me on the A7R2: it had to be stopped down to f/8 to get something like corner sharpness (see my blog post on it). I didn't really like the handling either, I couldn't get used to the focussing tab. I prefer to use the Olympus OM Zuiko 2/40 on the A7R2 and I sold the Minolta 2/40 on a Dutch auction site for € 300. No more rangefinder lenses for me. The Olympus 2/40 actually is the only legacy lens I occasionally use when going out, I generally like to have the lens data in the viewfinder and EXIF. Maybe someday I'll fall for the Voigtländer 1.2/40.

Lens I wanted and bought and rightly so
    The Loxia 2/50. Handles beautifully and gorgeous output. Nuff said.

Lens I wanted and bought, but not convinced I'll keep it
    The Loxia 2/35. Handles beautifully, very sharp and contrasty at smaller apertures up to a point where I have to pull shadows in Lightroom more than with any other lens. No distortion makes for easy alignment in the viewfinder/LCD. Still not convinced if I like 35mm angle-of-view enough to keep it, but the amount of keepers is always higher than expected.

Lenses I'd like to play with but not really ready to spend the money, let alone the hassle of re-selling it
    Leica Summicron-R 2/50. Interest has faded after getting the Loxia 2/50.

Lenses I want but won't use all that much
    Loxia 2.4/85. Great image quality no doubt, but 85mm isn't really my cup of tea.
    Loxia 2.8/21. Had it on my camera. Twice. Great lens, but at the moment I'm not into wide-angle all that much. Itch won't go away though...

Lenses I almost sold but glad I didn't
    Sony FE 2.8/35. Versatile, small, light, fast AF, excellent image quality. Even MF works quite well. Way to go for a minimalist outfit.

Lenses I don't like but don't really know why
    Almost all Nikon lenses on the A7R2. The only one I kept and will keep is the Micro-Nikkor 3.5/55 AI. I have a few 50mm lenses lying around and will probably sell them.

Love/hate relationships
    Sony FE 1.4/35. Good, but awkwardly large and big. I constantly get looks and remarks when that thing is on my camera, in stark contrast to what happens when I mount the FE 2.8/35 or even the FE 4/24-70. I only use it in almost-no-light situations.
    Sony FE 1.8/50. Excellent image quality, stunning actually for its price. But the slow AF and bad MF handling make it a bit of a pain to use in anything but static scenes. Doesn't come out of the storage bag all that often.

If there's a morale here for me, it's that I usually end up buying the lenses I want even if they cost an arm and a leg. And when disappointed in some way or another I simply sell 'em off.

• Like Like x 3
  3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Except for a Samyang 12/2.0 I bought to try milky way / astrology type shots, my lenses are all legacy Canon FD primes & zooms...all designed & operate the same way, etc.

Given what I already had from film days of the 80's...and how well they seem to do on NEX7 bodies...and not knowing what to expect in terms of used lens longevity from the 80's...I fell victim to the GAS syndrome since getting Sony mirrorless and added many more Canon FD lenses over the past few years.

Now that I've settled into my areas of photography interest and the lenses they dictate, I have to own up to the fact that I have way too many lenses...so much focal length overlap and/or duplicates that I only use a handful of them, the rest sit stored in a safe.
    :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I'm not as much up north (52º N) as you are but spending all daylight time on work in winter was a bit depressing indeed. Lunch walks helped me, there was no way I was going to sit indoors all day.

5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I’ve started boxing workouts, hitting the heavy bag helps a lot

6. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I have heard those things work pretty well. My wife has it much worse than I do and I have been thinking picking one up for her.

8. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Sticking to the adapted stuff...

Biggest surprise
    - Contax/Zeiss 50/1.4
    The reviews I read were all a bit 'meh, bokeh is annoying, not terribly sharp, overpriced, just get the 50/1.7 instead', but what I got was one of my favourite 50's. Wonderful handling, compact size, and I love the look and contrast it can provide. I really should use it a little more often.

Biggest regret - Every 35/2.8 I own.
    From the FE 35/2.8 (nice and small, perfectly sharp) to the Contax/Zeiss 35/2.8, they're just...not particularly inspiring. Both lenses are objectively good, but subjectively, they do very little for me. I guess I really do like / want / need the option to get more speed.

Lens I think I want but really don't - Leica
    I have a few R series Leica's, but give me Zeiss every single day. Always. All the time. Or Voigtlander. I just don't see the 'Leica Magic'; not in person, not in pictures. Don't get it.

Lens I want and could buy - Contax Zeiss planar 85/1.4
    But it's a little expensive, and I've always preferred 135mm to 85mm for portraits, but here too, my perfectly serviceable Yeshiva 135/2.8 doesn't do much for me at 2.8, while the Canon lens I miss most remains the 135/2.0L...

Best lens I own but never use - Olympus OM 21/3.5
    It's tiny (really, really tiny!), sharp and works a treat. I just always forget I own the damn thing, and tend to use the 16-35/4.0 native FE instead.

Lens I have that I love most - CV 35/1.2 II Nokton
    Hands down my favourite lens on my A7R for people / environmental / available light portraiture. I'm a sucker for a fast 35.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  9. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Use any of the Hawk's Helicoid, Voigtlander Close Focus, or the Techart M-PRo adapters, and you can shorten that distance.

10. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Okay, I have a few more...

Lens(es) I absolutely hate - Olympus 24/2.8 and 45/1.8
    I know that the OM 24/2.8 is a much loved and respected lens and I simply do not get it. I've had four copies and they have all been lousy. The biggest annoyance is that what appears to be in focus on the camera (using focus peaking) is not what is in focus when you look at the image later. Now, I realize that focus peaking is not perfect but it works fine on every other 24/2.8 I have ever had. In fact, it's spot on with my Nikkor N 24/2.8. I've heard it's because the lens is optimized for middle distances (which makes sense). I'm glad it works for other folks and I hope its better than any Zeiss or Leica for them. I rejoice in their good fortune. At this point I neither care nor ever want to see another OM 24/2.8 again.

On the native side it's the Olympus 45/1.8. Optically it's lovely. It's sharp as all get out, the bokeh is nice and it's light. It also feel like it is built out of tin foil and the front ring falls off if you even look at it. Maybe the build quality has improved since my days using m43 but if I ever went back I'd pick up the PL 45/2.8 macro instead. That was an awesome lens.

Lens I should like but don't for an irrational reason - Super Takumar 50/1.4
    I know it's great lens with a build quality to die for. I'm also a cancer survivor and I just can't bring myself to have a lens with radioactive elements. I know it's silly. I know that you get more radioactivity in an intercontinental flight or eating a banana but this isn't about rational. It's also why I don't own a Minolta 28/2.5, Olympus 38/1.8 or F16 AE versions of the Hexanon 50/1.4. I know I'm missing out on some great lenses and I'm okay with that.

Lens I wish I hadn't sold - Olympus OM 28/3.5
    I sold it when I got rid of my other OM lenses. I kinda wish I had kept it. It was amazingly fun, easy to use, REALLY sharp and super small. I like it better than the OM 28/2.8 (which is way overpriced IMHO). It's also so cheap that getting another one would be soooo easy. Of course now that I've said this I'm sure someone is going to drop in and crush me by saying the OM 28/3.5 is radioactive.

Biggest adapted lens mystery - Canon FD mount
    WTF is going on with that mount? It just seems way more complicated than it needs to be. I feel like I need to rub my belly, turn three time counter-clockwise and make a blood sacrifice just to get that thing to work right

Favorite focal length - 40mm
    This one is pretty simple but needs a little explanation. I learned photography with compact RF cameras so I have a thing for the 40mm focal length. On a crop camera like the NEX 7 I ended up with a 28mm lens. Special bonus points if the lens can close focus.

11. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    True enough but that adds another $300+ to the cost of an already speedy lens...and I'm waaaaay to cheap for that. I'll stick with my Nikkors.

12. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    They really are crazy small. I gotta hand to Olympus (except for the 24/2.8) the 28/3.5, 50/1.8 and 100/2.8 is a great small kit. All three lenses are just a bit taller than a glass of tea.

13. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    :laugh1::laugh1:

Same here, that's why I kept the Olympus 2/40mm.

14. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Interesting...never heard of such a thing...maybe the adapter your using?
    All of mine just mate into the adapter, rotate it a half inch, locks in place.

082913  A-FDtripodnex1 cropped. 082913  B-FDtripodnex2 cropped.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    That's one robust FD adapter, and great looking tripod mount, it's only missing the arca-swiss dovetails.
    Is this one of those automatic lever engaging models?
    The lesser/average ones all have an extra dial to 'operate' the aperture. This is what Kevin is probably ranting about. That extra step, gotta make sure it's in the 'open' position before mounting a lens to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Was I ranting? I thought I’d call it more of a hissy fit but sure...let’s go with rant

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Well, I've let out a couple of colorful words when I forgot to engage the dial and shot a bunch of pics thinking I was changing the aperture and wasn't. :p

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Engage the Canon FD lens "red" dot...at the right hand red dot on the adapter...then rotate the lens a half inch to the left to the other 'red dot' and it locks in place...that lens mounting design ensures the aperture level is engaged.
    I initially tried an inexpensive fotodiox adapter that had something like what you described...had a separate slide lock thing.

But then after reading about the NEX7 case & tripod socket being so thin & cheap where a guy had his break off from a tripod with a heavy lens on it that I decided I needed to get the tripod mount version.
    But then read where the fotodiox tripod mount was so thin & cheaply made that the mounting foot was snapping off with a heavy lens.

Did some research, bit the bullet, and bought those sturdy FD/NEX tripod mount adapters sold by CIECIO7...not cheap but I've never worried since about a lens / camera combo hitting the concrete.

UPLOAD.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I have one of those without a tripod mount, ordered from Poland like this one. It's well-made and it works. One caveat though: they boast that the adapter is very precisely machined to the extension needed and that means that the slightest misalignment of a lens causes inability to focus on infinity. And that gets worse when you have a lens that has curvature of field and you want focus at the edge at something far out. Novoflex says explicitly that they make their adapters 0.07mm short to enable infinity focus even in less than ideal situations. I use the CIECO7-like adapter for the Canon FD Macro 4/200 that has its own tripod mount and where infinity focus is not a problem.

20. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Never noticed any issue like that...