1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

"The Kraken" has arrived...Canon FD 300mm F 2.8 and its heavy but awesome!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Sep 1, 2015.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    So after a long time debating I went for it...my very first Canon L lens.

The%20Creature_zpssimrtndi.

I had the FD 400mm F4.5 which is great on its own but this thing in the first few shots I have taken is blowing my mind with the detail and CA control. Its shorter than the 400mm which is good but while I knew it was going to be heavy perhaps I underestimated that part LOL No worries, I work out so I will be fine. :D
    Planning to go to the zoo immediately or wait until tomorrow for the 1.4x and 2x adapters...or go twice LOL
    Here is a shot with the FE 55mm 1.8 at 2.8 and a similar with this canon for comparison...nothing scientific of course but just for kicks:
    FE 55mm
    DSC03705_zpshfogqkys.
    FD 300mm
    DSC03700_zpsdctyhqhl.

A crop with FD on the left:
    300mm_zpsjxvjgjkx.

Finally some quick samples from around home:
    DSC03674_zpsqicwcpji.

I need to figure out how to post on Flickr without making public so only people with the link can see them so I am not posting any other as they look so small that it shows nothing of what I am trying to demonstrate IQ wise. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Monster lens, lovely shots.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Wow, awesome lens!
    And that's more than a Beast, more than a Monster, even more than a Creature... that looks like The Kraken! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    Quite a glass grenade missile you got there! Looking forward to your images with it!

• Like Like x 1
  5. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks! :)
    I was saving that name for the 400mm but seeing this one now I know I will NOT be getting the 400 so name changed. :D
    I will surely post quite a few soon. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    L glass is a wonderful drug. :D
    Congrats! Nice comparo to the 55mm, good resolution seen.

To get what you want from flickr, just set the photos to Private so that they don't show up on your photostream.
    You can still grab the URL link of the desired size photo to add to any forum, website, or email. That link will give the user viewing access.

If you wish to provide access to a series of shots, lump them into an album and get a guest pass link that you can email others.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Sweet I will do that and indeed the resolution really surprised me but you will see when I post the full one. :)

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Wow, Kraken is right!

• Like Like x 1
  9. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Ok now you can see the crop comparison...again not scientific as the focus does not seem to be spot on on both but for fun until I do a more realistic test. :)

300mm by Gabriel Gerena, on Flickr
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow I am going to the zoo for the real test shots. :D

Disclaimer: ALL photos are JPG fine only as that is the best quality you can get when setting to RAW+JPG. I wish you can select the best JPG too :/
    Anyways, you can access them in Flickr for the full size if you want to pixel peep

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  10. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Hmmm, looks like one can't link back to the full sized copy after all. I guess I was wrong, or with flickr updated the interface so often, they stopped it.

OK, there is a work-around....

Go to the private image and click on View All Sizes.
    Open the Original Size version.
    In Firefox, right click and select Copy Image Location.
    Attach it here with the Image URL option.
    Clicking on the smaller pic in the post will link to a new page with the original full size photo.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  11. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    That is an awesome find man! It seems the images will post quite big though so some people may not like that but at least now you can see all the detail just clicking on them. :)