1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The 'kit' lens tested alonside the Zeiss 24mm

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Bugleone, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    The Fred Miranda site recently ran this item wherein the kit zoom and 24mm were compared,....the kit zoom came out of it rather well, which was no surprise since it's such an excellent optic...

.....Basically, the large cost of the 24mm gets one a couple of extra stops at the large aperture end (so useful in low light)......but the test is interesting to read;

NEX 5N - samples of 18-55 at 24 V. ZA 24 - FM Forums

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Yes, the kit lens is excellent and underrated.

On the other hand, a couple of stops is a couple of stops :). The Zeiss is currently number one on my "want" list.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, the last corner comparison as well as the "coffee shop" comparison below clearly shows the advantages of the Zeiss lens. All in all, both are excellent lenses, but if you prefer primes or just want the maximum IQ you could get, the Zeiss is better. At 3 times the price, though.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Honestly I've been impressed enough with the kit zoom that I wouldn't consider getting the Zeiss. Unless I really absolutely had to have a shallow DOF @ 24mm focal length. Between using a tripod and HHT I really don't need the speed.

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, I start thinking of lenses like of every other technology. I bought B&W MM-1 speakers for 500€. Are they 5 times better than a good pair of 100€ speakers? Probably not, but that little bit of extra detail makes my life a little bit nicer every day. I bought a 24" Cinema Display for 850€. Is it 4 times better than a "cheap" 24" Samsung HD Display? No, but my eyes thank me that decision every time I spend a day working on the computer. I bought a 4600€ (UVP, actually got it for 1400 -- long story) 47" LG TV. Is it really that much better than a 700€ TV? Of course not, but it just looks damn cool.

All I say is you don't get double the features for double the money, but what you get is just that little bit of extra feeling, that makes life so much more enjoyable. I don't regret any purchase of a high-end electronic device the last couple of years. Sure, I have to save money for a long time to buy these things, but after all, they're worth every penny - at least for me.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Point taken. And if somebody comes up with a good 17-50ish f/2.8 zoom I'll probably pony up. After I get a UWA zoom though. ;)