The Great Salt Lake from the Air

Discussion in 'Nature' started by thebigz, Nov 19, 2014.

1. thebigz

thebigz TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 10, 2014
    I took these a few days ago over the great salt lake while flying in a Cessna 182

Organically it is two different lakes - the north arm and the south arm. The north arm is very red due to different algae. The south arm is "normal" lake colored blues and greens.

It was pretty windy and for some reason the lake was very foamy, which made for a cool effect with long foam streaks in the lake

DSC08289-2_zpsde2f6d1b.

The little rocks here are called Cub Island with Gunnison Island in the background.

DSC08331-2_zps43f4e95e.

This is the division between the north and south arm. You can also very clearly see the canal in the north arm of heavier south arm water. I am not sure what the reason for the canal is. The terrible banding in the sky is reflections inside the airplane

DSC08345_zps443f9d68.

• Like Like x 6
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Nice - very interesting spot!

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great shots.

Been there a few times, but never from the air.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Very cool to see. My sister used to live on the side of a mountain in Draper, UT. She had an amazing view. I visited her for a week about 10 years ago. That's the only time I've ever been there.

5. thebigz

thebigz TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 10, 2014
    You probably wouldn't even recognize Draper anymore. That place has grown like crazy in the last ten years!

6. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I bet! She was right near the edge of a cliff with a golf course below her. And she said that the distance between the end of her backyard (her backyard was like 10 feet deep) and the cliff was four more lots! I couldn't believe that they were going to jam huge houses on those tiny little lots, but I'm sure they did! So they moved before that came to be. They were going to lose their million dollar view of the lake and the city and see the back of a house. No thank you!