1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured The great big zoom debate

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by quezra, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Sony FE 24-70/2.8 GM

6 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Sony FE 24-105/4 G

25 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Tamron 28-75/2.8

22 vote(s)
    36.7%
  4. Sony FE 24-70/4 Z

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I tried both the Sony 24-105/4 as well as the Tamron 28-75/2.8 in a local camera store today (Hunt Photo in Melrose) and came away very impressed with both zooms. Great size and versatility. Both were extremely sharp from edge to edge. What's more, both of the copies I tried were excellent ones with very symmetrical performance.

I went there thinking I was going to buy the Sony of them but ended up leaving with the Tamron.

DSC01885.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC01901.jpg

DSC01910.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 9
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 22, 2012
    That Tamron is surprisingly good. I've tried calling my local shop but they've never had both the Tamron and the 24-105 in stock at the same time :(  Maybe some people are just walking away with whichever one they have in stock! Hopefully the demand for these two lenses will die down soon, because I suspect I can only really decide while having both in my hands.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    It was very helpful to do that. My store had just the one copy of each. Hope you have a chance to do the comparison soon!

• Like Like x 2
  4. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I also just picked up a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8! I saw it in-stock while cruising one of my go-to camera store websites at midnight (I do a lot late night gear shopping)! I couldn't resist and added it to my cart! Due to it's focal length, f-stop and petite size, it makes for a better lowlight/portraiture and video lens due to the 2.8 aperture. The lack of 24mm kind of sucks, so I am debating if I want to throw the Samyang 24mm 2.8 into the mix! Lol

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    One more from today with the Tamron and a little film simulation courtesy of Alien Skin Exposure:

DSC01861.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  6. Biro

Biro TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Oct 21, 2012
    I already had the 28, 35, 55 and 85mm Sony primes, which I used on my A7 Classic.

When I bought the A7 III, I went for the Tamron 28-75 because it's a great lens and I now have an f/2.8 full-frame zoom that's affordable, performs well and isn't too big or heavy. As a result, when I bought a wide-angle zoom, I went with the 16-35mm f/4.

But I can totally understand why anyone would go for the 12-24 and 24-105 f/4 combo instead. I almost did.

7. grillec

grillec TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 19, 2015
    Even if I had the money for a GM I would choose the Tamron and invest the remaining money in another lens. My first choice wouldn't be a big zoom in the range of 2x-70mm because my choice of motifs are different and I would miss something in certain situations - small size, focal lenght and/or speed.

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

A tough choice. You get more range with the Sony but better F-Stop on the Tamron.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 4, 2015
    "I feel like my el cheapo kit zoom is good enough. If I need more IQ, I'll slap on a prime."

Yep. Agreed. I was "forced" to get the kit zoom to take portraits of families for our Church; needed the flexibility to change f/l in a hurry. Disappointed though that Eye AF apparently not available on this lens with the A7-2 (yes, in S-AF mode)

Edit: should have watched this first:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    I don't have anything bad to say about the kit lens. In the center, it is very sharp, and the contrast is not bad. I just didn't find much use for it. The main problem for me was that it had such a limited focal range that it was very rare that I would use it instead of a prime. The main use of it was for video (image stabilized) as I had no OSS primes for the A7 (until much later, with the 90 macro). Needless to say, it got sold once I had the 16-35/4 (or possibly even a little before that, I can't remember). On the A7iii now, with IBIS, even my primes are stabilized so I can't imagine ever going back to the kit lens.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    If anyone is wondering whether the Tamron AF passes muster indoors in low light while tracking action, the answer (IMO) is yes. My daughter helped me do some testing :) .

DSC01977.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Another concern I read one another forum was that the Tamron T-stop was disappointing. Someone said it was more like an f/3.5 than f/2.8 in terms of light transmission. While I was at the store, I took a series of images with the Sony zoom at f/4 and the Tamron at f/2.8 in order to do a quick check for lens sharpness symmetry using the method described here: How to check how decentered your lens is - phillipreeve.net

In each of the eight comparisons shown below, the top row is the Sony zoom at 24mm f/4, while the bottom row is the Tamron at 28mm f/2.8. The thumbnail shows you the overall brightness without any change to settings in C1, and the ISO chosen by the camera auto ISO is shown. Only one of the eight pairs shows an ISO significantly less than twice as high for the Sony image, so it seems to me that the Tamron does have an approximately one stop advantage over the Sony zoom when it comes to T-stops.

one.png

two.png

Here is a link to download all the raw files if you'd like to verify anything directly: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VcLH6d2kHtAcCFM2-Fkps4RDUvbiU5KP/view?usp=sharing

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Those are really useful, thanks Amin!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I just did a quick test myself comparing the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 against the 28mm f2 and 85mm 1.8 FE lenses, setting all three at f2.8 and fixed at 800 ISO. The 28-75mm @ 75mm and 85mm both set to f2.8 showed the same shutter settings. I even switch the lenses between the A7III and A7II to see if there was any variance and they both registered the same shutter speeds.

The only discrepancies I saw was with the 28-75mm @ 28mm versus the 28mm f2 lens with both set to f2.8. Shutter speeds would fluctuate anywhere from 1/10-1/20th with the 28mm f2 displaying a faster shutter speed.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    I have the FE 24-70 f4, and it's basically my "kit lens" on my A7Rii now. I'm mainly a landscape photog, so wider apertures are kind of irrelevant - if it's dark I put it on a tripod and take a longer exposure.

If I were to get another lens, it would be the FE 24-105 f4 G. I've heard a lot of good about that lens, and it is useful to have a medium telephoto around. My current choice in that range is the FE 24-240, which is okay, but not as sharp.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I just sold the Tamron 28-75mm! Great lens and very sharp, but at the end of the day I'm more of a prime guy. I much prefer my 28mm f2 and 85mm 1.8 combo. I'll probably just get a kit 28-70mm for those times I need a short zoom.

• Wow Wow x 1
  17. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Yes you did. And rather quickly, I might add.

18. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I was still within my return period, but I figure someone else who's looking for the lens could enjoy it! I'm not adverse to zooms since I completely enjoy my 70-200mm f4 FE. I also tried the 24-70mm f/4 FE and I actually like that lens a lot optically, but I wasn't fond of the build quality. I noticed all the used copies on sale suffer from some degree of barrel wear.

I'm somewhat finicky when it comes to my gear! :D 

19. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    I understand!

20. Arutemu

Arutemu TalkEmount Veteran

Jun 11, 2015
    28-75/2.8 Tamron: Bang-for-buck.

Got this beauty for my A7R2.
    F/4 is not even a consideration for me. I treat any suggestion of f/4 as a personal insult :shakehead:
    GM is not a consideration either, for its price.
    Only one choice left - Tammy f/2.8.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.