1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The FE f/2 28mm lens on my a7R

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by slothead, Aug 9, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Yesterday I took the dogs and went to visit the Skyline Drive (one of my favorite places in the world), and took along a number of lenses, one of them being the Sony FE f/2 28mm wide-angle. I used it in a number of places (along with the other lenses I took along), but something that I had not had the best experience with before was making panoramas with a wide lens. Theoretically, with a wide lens there is less need of stitching a panorama since it can grab a wide view by itself, but I enjoy the process of making stitched panos, so I did it anyway. This (below) is a simple two-frame stitched pano using the f/2 28mm that I am satisfied with. It was taken from about the 50 or 60 mile marker looking west, and 1/2500 f/16 using ISO1600 (I obviously forgot to dial the ISO back down from a darker environment). I think I'll call it "The Top of Virginia." And now you can see why they call it the "Blue Ridge."

SD_Pano-14a3_zpsaig01cz3.

• Like Like x 8
  2. GaiaSxm

GaiaSxm TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 20, 2015
    Nathalie Beaurain
    Nice! Wondering if I should get the 28 F2 or the 35 mm F2.8. I already have the kit lens and the 55. I do lot of landscaping and nature shots. But I do love portraits and streetphotgraphy.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Such a tough choice, @GaiaSxm@GaiaSxm

Both are great lenses. With your zoom, do you find yourself using 28mm more than 35mm?

4. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I've got the 24-70 f/4 (and the kit lens - which I would like to sell, but it doesn't seem to be worth much on the open market, so I've kept it available for the a6000 and 5100), and find myself using the wide end just a little more often that the long end.

5. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013

This is my opinion, I think the Sony Zeiss f/2.8 sucks. I don't know how else to say it. This is the 1st lens I purchased for the A7 series and since I own the Rx1, maybe that ruined this lens for me. I will look to sell my seldom used copy, as the 35mm Zeiss on the Rx1 KILLS the Zeiss FE f/2.8.

I just got a copy of the Sony FE 28 f/2 and I think it is better then the f/2.8, in fact I wish this lens was a option when I bought the FE 35mm f/2.8.

I don't get this look with the 35mm f/2.8, but the 28mm f/2 gives it to me:

m-131.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Frederico

Frederico New to TalkEmount

Sep 4, 2015
    After looking at this photo, I'm sold. Will head to store to pick up the 28/2

Attached Files:

7. GaiaSxm

Aug 20, 2015
    Nathalie Beaurain
    Thanks everyone. Well it depends on the situation i guess. I like the wide end but i use 35 mm equaly. I love the 55 mm but sometimes you cannot move away from your subject and then u cannot take the picture. I Will use the zoom lens and figure out which end i use most.

8. GaiaSxm

Aug 20, 2015
    Nathalie Beaurain
    The 28 mm is cheaper too :)

9. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Love that Skyline Drive!

10. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    I just bought the Sony FE 28mm f2 yesterday. I agree, that the 35mm on the RX1 is a hard act to follow! :dance:

Lucille, was the picture above shot wide open?

11. Lucille

May 22, 2013

Yes sir, f/2.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lucille

May 22, 2013
    Another shot wide open with the Sony 28mm f/2

m-127.

• Like Like x 12
  13. Janne303

Janne303 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Janne Eriksson
    amazing! I need to try to get some money for a 28mm 2.0 NOW :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. GaiaSxm

Aug 20, 2015
    Nathalie Beaurain
    Yes I think you sold me to the 28 mm idea Christine. Love that popping red!!!

15. Lucille

May 22, 2013

Who exactly is Christine?

16. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    He changed your name. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Janne303

Janne303 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Janne Eriksson
    Maybee auto correct on his mobile :)

18. Lucille

May 22, 2013
    another rendering from the 28mm f/2

m-132.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Zlatko

Zlatko New to TalkEmount

Aug 18, 2015
    Zlatko Batistich
    Can you be more specific please? I know the 35mm lens on the RX1 is great, but what is bad about the 35/2.8? I presume you're talking about the little FE 35mm f/2.8. I don't own it, but have read some very positive reviews. What don't you like about the look it gives? Thanks.

20. Lucille

May 22, 2013
    I don't like anything about it, it doesn't deserve the 'Zeiss' moniker as it hardly has a Zeiss look. Colors are drab, no pop, everytime I used it I found myself wondering how the Rx1 would have looked.

I got a pristine copy for sale if you want it. I realize many like it, it simply is uninspiring and doesn't have the look I like for me. The 28mm to me has more character.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1