The cutest lens, ever.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nianys, Oct 12, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I recently bought the PEN F 38/1.8 from Dixeyk, my Legacy Glass Jedi Master, and fellow addict.
    I ordered it while in the US but at the end of my stay, so the lens had to be shipped to France. It took exactly 7 days to arrive, and I almost fainted with joy when I laid hands on it. It is TINY. Even smaller than the Oly 45/1.8 for m4/3. It's very sharp wide open and I'm totally smitten with it. I'm listing both my 40/1.8 and 35/2 as I won't be using either since I have this baby.
    Will post pics tonight, but just wanted to share my excitement. It's the second lens I get from Kevin and he's the most thorough packer I've ever met :)

2. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    it's a really great lens and a really nice fit with the NEX. For me the FL is a bit longer than I typically like but I had zero complaints about the lens. If it has been 28/2 (or something simialr) I would never have let it go. I'm glad it'll get some affection. ;)

Here is one of the last shots I took with it...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7998531242/" title="MurciƩlago by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7998531242_a4d7083886_b. "1024" height="680" alt="MurciƩlago"></a>

3. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Oh yes, this lens is REALLY suited for B&W, it's begging to be used in B&W. By the way, it's probably one of the sweetest portrait lens, ever. The gentleness of transitions both in tones and in/out of focus areas is just sheer beauty. Kevin, I feel really priviledged you decided to part with it and it came my way.

MarlaOct12-08. MarlaOct12-09.
    MarlaOct12-10. MarlaOct12-11.
    MarlaOct12-12.

Oh, and a little frustrated the embedded thumbnails absolutely don't do justice to the actual pictures <sigh>

4. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
  5. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I forgot to post pictures of the lens itself. Here it is next to the Hexanon Konica AR 35/2 that filled that focal length for me prior to getting the PEN.

Duo35-01.
    Duo35-02.

The size difference is shocking ! The Hex is a bit more contrasty, but both give the same heavy amount of focus confirmation in "peaking" (contrary to the Hex 40 and 50/1.8 that give very little confirmation and almost requite peaking to be set to High).

6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    So? Any new pictures?

7. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Been shooting it all evening last night. It's a GREAT lens. I have to sell just about everything else, lol.

8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Sheesh, now you're making me want to go out and get another one. I'm kidding of course, but I am finding that using the EVF is different than using the LCD and different focal lengths work differently depending of if you are using the EVF or LCD. You wouldn't't think that the difference of camera position of holding it at arms length as opposed to up to the eye would be significant but it is. It's going to make me reconsider my lenses a bit. For instance, my 105/2.8 becomes more useful that before and my 28/2 seems just a tiny bit wider than I want. I think I might pick up a 35 and experiment with it. Good 35's are plentiful and cheap.

I know what you mean about selling all your other lenses. I think I hold the same hope of finding that one lens that makes me just sell everything else.

9. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I will shoot via the EVF once I get the 6, so you YOU are making me reconsider. In this regard, 50's will become even more useful. I also read the Rokkor 45/2 is a great lens, it's very cheap I might try one (thugh I hate to get yet another adapter, and the MD>NEX is a big thick thing). It doesn't really match my experience that "35's a re plentiful and cheap", but maybe only because I won't use anything slower than 2. If you're ok with 2.3 and 3.5, than yes you do get a couple more options.

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Some great shots from a nice looking lens.

11. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    LOL...
    I like the emphasis on YOU. Well played.

I didn't mean to upset the delicate balance here I was just noticing that the EVF seemed to make a difference in what FL I was using. For instance I never have been fond of the way a Hex 40/1.8 works on the NEX. Just felt a bit too long but with an EVF it doesn't seems so. I ended up with a mint Hex 40/1.8 in a trade I just completed and I was going to turn around and sell it but when I was testing it I found myself kind of enjoying using it. I think because there is a good 12 - 18 inches between where I hold it using the LCD and holding it to my face. I wouldn't have though it would make a difference but it does and it's because it changes my working distance. It may seem trivial but I like working in a lot closer than some folks so for me it made a big difference.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/8081782550/" title="Horse Ches-not by dixeyk, on Flickr">"1024" height="680" alt="Horse Ches-not"></a>

I agree however that focus peaking doesn't work as well on it as other lenses I have. I'm not sure why. I would think it would contrasty enough but the short throw focus makes it harder to nail focus.

12. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Cool lenses, loved ones, poker, and a manual focus fun evening

MarlaPaulinOct12-03.

We had our best friends coming over last night. They live a few hours away so we don't get to see them as much as we'd like. The wife is interested in photography as well, so she was drawn to my 5N like a magnet, and she had fun swapping manual lenses all night. She had NO previous experience with manual focus whatsoever, yet within one a half hour she was nailing our wrestling girls like a pro.

MarlaOct12-20.

My kid even got to play poker last night. She was a real lucky charm, everybody wanted her in their lap !

MarlaOct12-15. MarlaOct12-17. MarlaOct12-19.

It was a great evening, mixing great friends, good fun playing cards, yummy food and cool photography with excellent manual lenses. My friend (a Canon Rebel user), totally fell in love with the NEX and focus peaking !! We were both really thrilled at the way she nailed focus on difficult targets like the playing kids.

Continued for more shots...

13. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Awesome (who needs AF?)...it's fun to introduce friends your habit. Now you have a ready buyer for lenses that you sell. ;)

14. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    MarlaPaulineOct12-01. MarlaPaulineOct12-02.

The girls only meet about twice a year but they love each other.

AnneOct12-01. MarlaOct12-16. MarlaOct12-21.

It's one of the things I love so about photography, capturing memories of really good, real life moments.

15. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    those are great shots, very sharp, contrast, it's true, who need AF? ... With These shots in MF it's really awesome;)

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Wow, that is a small lens. Wonderful photos, Marla.

17. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    What great pictures! It does seem to make a excellent candid portrait lens. The size difference is amazing especially considering both it and the Hex are SLR lenses. How did Oly Do it?!

18. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Cool the thread is still alive, I need to post more pictures. After initially fallin in love with the lens I didn't shoot it much upon receiving my Super Tak and giving it a lot of time. The PEN went back on the 5N this morning, what a joy to shoot it. It's just a perfect companion for the NEX. The OM lenses I have, while being SLR and needing a much fatter adapter, are also really tiny, and of very high optical quality. My 100/2.8 is among my very favorite lenses. I wish it weren't prone to flaring like crazy, otherwise it's golden.