The current situation....

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by teefin1, Nov 30, 2012.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Many know of my frustration with the NEX 7, which didn't seem apparent in other owners, yesterday I really had the hump (figuratively, of course) at the fact that I couldn't get what I wanted from the camera. After going through all the files I may have hit upon a reason. Back focus. (do mirrorless have this problem?) At least 50% of them of late seem out of focus to some degree, even with flash. So I rang the company I bought it from to see if they would exchange, even though it's outside the return period, and they have offered a full refund and are sending a courier to collect this morning. I'm over the moon that they have been so helpful. The 6 is still a touch pricey for my budget, but I'm nervous to try another 7, so as in a previous post may just revert to the 5n. See what sale prices bring! I do apologise for advertising it for sale on the board, but had convinced myself the FP wasn't sensitive enough, but looking over the files.....I don't think even I'm that rubbish, and at 36, can't really blame ageing eyes!

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    You are crazy, lol :D (joking offcourse)
    I'd give "anything" to get a 7 (or 6) over my 1st gen 5, meaning that unfortunately I can't afford one right now...

So, a full refund means that they'll give you back the whole amount???
    If so, I don't see why you couldn't get a Nex-6 :?

3. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    That's great! Maybe you could tell us who you bought it from if it doesn't make you uncomfortable. Good customer service deserves a bit of promotion.

What is back focus?

4. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    I think in the uk the 6 retails at about £800, I got my 7 for £629 from a company called Jessops, so a bit of a jump right now, with Xmas round the corner and 5 children with a list for Santa. I thought the 7 would be the bees knees, but my copy has given me pause. I'm tempted to get another 5n and hvl f20s flash (so I can learn). I look at Colin's images and his 7 seems amazing!

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Thanks teefin1

I really don't find the images I get with the 7 any better than with the 5N but I find the 7 easier for me to use. I'm a little quicker with it. I use the viewfinder most of the time (unless street shooting) and I really like the Tri-Nav. My friend has smaller hands than I do and he seems to be more comfortable than I handling the 5N.

I also like the idea that I can aggressively crop if needed because of the 24MP sensor. It's probably doesn't really matter much but when I'm shooting, it gives me more confidence that I can crop the image later in post if I've @$#$ it up.

From what you describe on how you use the camera, it seems to me that the 5N is a better choice for you. Perhaps the 5R might be worth a gander.

You can see what Freddy says about the 5R vs the 5N as he c̶o̶n̶v̶e̶n̶i̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶r̶o̶w̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶5̶N̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ picked up a 5R.

6. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Back focus problems occur when the image focal plane is different from the sensor focal plane. This can occur if the lens mount on the body is damaged / bent or the sensor is not perfectly aligned inside the body. Front focus is related to the ability of the lens to bring the image into focus in the image focal plane, but back focus is generally ( as far as I know ) a body issue.

7. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    A 7 for £629??? Wow, around here is 1200euro body only!!!

8. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    So, would that mean that probably teefin's 7 was a faulty one?

9. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Teefin, you might to shoot an email to a shop called Photo Saint-Charles in Paris (you'll find them easily in Google). I got my 6 from them on release day with a crazy discount. They're so cheap they can't advertise their prices as manufacturers give them hell (it happened at the OM-D release and they had to kick their price up a bit). I think they probably would ship to the UK as long as you cover shipping (probably around 15£). Might be worth a shot. I'm really finding the 6 a pretty sweet spot in the NEX line up, and knowing how serious you are about the hobby...

10. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks Claire, I have sent them an email. Thanks for suggesting it, my camera has been gone for 2 hours and I miss it already. :(

11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Theoretically you shouldn't get back or front focus issues on a CDAF camera because the camera is determining the focus directly off the imaging sensor. Traditional PDAF systems (i.e. DSLRs) use a separate focusing and imaging sensor and it is miscalibration between the two that usually causes issues with back and front focus.

Did the issues occur with more than one lens?

12. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Initially all lenses were fine, by yesterday no matter which lens I used it was hard to achieve correct focus. I have had this issue on an Olympus EPM1, though much worse, which, when swapped for another was perfect.