1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The cure for the wobbly lens adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by WoodWorks, Feb 18, 2013.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Those of you who have lens adapters for large legacy lenses that come with the little tripod mount dongle may be plagued with the same problem I've encountered: The tiny screws that hold the tripod dongle to the adapter seem to come loose if you look at them funny, resulting in a wobbly lens.

Well I found a cure for mine: blue loctite. I disassembled my Minolta adapter two weeks ago and dabbed a little loctite on the screws before reassembling it, and after plenty of use since then, it has remained rock solid. So today I applied some to my Canon adapter, and I expect the same result.

[​IMG]

You can pick up loctite in any hardware or auto parts store, and it comes in various levels of permanence, from purple, for screws that you have to remove and retighten often, to red for screws that you want to survive an asteroid impact. I used blue on my adapter because, well, it's what I had around. I use it religiously on my motorcycle because I like to ride off-pavement alone in isolated places, sometimes covering hundreds of miles of rocky washboard to get to my destination.

8486153549_fa7f9d7746_c.
    Death Valley.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

If I don't keep a tube handy in my tool kit, my motorcycle starts spewing fasteners like some out-of-control Kenmore washer on spin cycle. As far as I'm concerned, the inventor should get a Nobel prize. So if you've got the dreaded wobbly lens adapter, give it a try. A little dab'll do ya.

Attached Files:

2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    When i opened this thread, i thought you had solved a problem i was having recently.

My problem was actually different, but probably worth explaining here anyway.

If you have cheap adapter like i do, and the connection between the lens and the adapter is loose, you can adjust the tightness.

Insert a small, flat head screw driver into the grooves that are cut into the locking tabs on the adapter. Gently expand that groove and you will tighten the fit.

DSC01218 (1).

Be careful to do it evenly on all three tabs, and don't over do it (like i did)