• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

The Consequences of GAS

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
So with all my used FE lens acquisitions of late, I'm wondering if I can downsize my lens collection. I'm thinking I can start with many of the APS-C lenses I still have for the A6000.

SEL18200 - Pretty much have to keep this, as it's the lens my wife uses most. I might consider trying to get her to use the SEL24240 instead, but there will be times when 24mm on APS-C just isn't wide enough, so the SEL18200 seems to be a reluctant keeper.

SEL24F18Z - A nice lens, although she doesn't use it all that much. I have her take it if she's meeting the girls for dinner, and might need to take some indoor low-light pictures. It's small enough that it doesn't get in the way if she has to use the pop-up flash. An alternative would be to let her use the SEL28F20. That would also be okay when using the pop-up flash. But it's not quite as wide as the 24, and if you need the UWC, then the flash is definitely blocked.

SEL50F18 - Least used of all the lenses. And the SEL55F18Z should work just as well.

SEL1018 - Rarely used, and with the acquisition of the SEL1224G, I wonder.

Then we get to the FE lenses...

SEL24240 - I pretty much am convinced that I no longer have a need for this beast. I would much rather be using the SEL24105G and SEL70200G, but sometimes switching lenses is inconvenient. Is it really worth keeping for the off chance I need an all-in-one for some occasion?

SEL28F20 + SEL075UWC - A nice compact lens if I want to carry something small, and know I will be needing wide angle. Shot most of the day at a state park with just the 28 (No converter) for a surprise birthday party. Painful to add/remove the converter though... Well, a pain if you want to put the rear cap back on, or need to put the lens hood back on the 28.

SEL55F18Z - Great little lens. But do I need it since I acquired the SEL2470GM?

SEL90F28M - Chose it over the SEL85F18 to have to chance to do macro, or product photography.

SEL24105G - Great walkaround lens. Obvious keeper.

SEL70200G - Much sharper than the SEL24240. Obvious keeper.

SEL2470GM - Got it only a week before the SEL24105G. Debating on keeping it, but really like it for indoor portraits. Perhaps even better than the SEL55F18Z, mostly because the zoom makes it a much more flexible option. I keep flipping between it being a must keep, to thinking it might be a maybe.

SEL1224G - Just got it, and haven't really had the chance to use it, but I know there are times when I would like something wider than 24. Seems like an obvious keeper.

So if I'm just going for a walk, the A7RM3 with the SEL24105G is great. For a bigger hike, the sling/backpack with the SEL1224G, SEL24105G, and SEL70200G should work, although there is no room in the sling for the filters to be used with the SEL1224G. I could go full backpack and do it, though.

And of course, the lenses I'm fairly sure I could part with (SEL50F18, SEL1018, SEL24240), are not going to get much money back. But I gotta start saving somewhere for the SEL100400GM, right?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I started back into photography building a collection of legacy lenses, mostly Minolta, and then a few APS-C Sony lenses. As I started finding what I liked, I eventually sold the APS-C glass to get to a "normal" full-frame sensor, and eventually found I was hardly even using the legacy lenses I had collected earlier. There is nothing wrong with any of them, and some of them are downright great (e.g. Contax G 45mm and 90mm). And I still love the *idea* of having a nice collection of all sorts of classic adapted primes, but practically speaking I know I will only end up *using* a handful of lenses. So I am going to try and get some of them sold to someone who will give them the use they deserve. It would be a shame if they just sat in my drawer, appreciated for their qualities but never taken out and used. They deserve a better fate.

There are lots of opinions on what makes a good set of lenses, and the primes vs zoom debate. Of course it varies with each person. I have a Tokina 21/f2, the CV 65/f2 and literally received my CV 40/f1.2 late today (which I now need to pay for by selling some stuff, which I did plan on doing). If I can scrape together the funds, I want the upcoming CV 110, then a good zoom, maybe the Tamron 28-75 or the Sony 24-105G. So if all goes well, I would have 21/40/65/110 manual primes and an all-around zoom, which would be great for me. By the time I get through that, of course, I will just have to upgrade my obsolete A7ii. There is always something, isn't there? ;)

Kiwi Paul

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
I've just culled my kit right down, sold all the APS-C stuff, sold all my primes except the CV10, sold the 16-35 and A7R2, bought an A72 and 12-24 instead and have a RX100 M6, so now my entire kit is A72 + CV10, FE12-24, FE24-70 (f4) and FE70-300, it all fits into a very small backpack, I only use a polarizer on the 24-70 so not burdened down with accessories and I couldn't be happier.

Ad Dieleman

Amateur
... literally received my CV 40/f1.2 late today ...
I'm jealous! This thing is completely sold out in The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. Edit: it's one day later and I got one! :dance3:

I now have 8 native FE lenses (if you're interested, I keep my dpreview profile up-to-date), I recently sold the FE 1.4/35 because I got too little use out of it and I really don't like its size. I have to be able to explain to myself what use cases I have for a lens, if not the lens goes. I don't count the APS-C stuff, because that's what my children borrow every now and then. So why get a Voigtländer FE 1.2/40 with the 35 and 50mm Loxia's already in my day-to-day bag? That's because I always liked the 40mm focal length, so I really owe it to myself to get it now that there's a native option. Then it becomes kind of a battle between the Voigtländer 40 and the 35mm and 50mm Loxia's and after a while it'll be clear which lenses to keep. The rumored Zeiss Batis 2/40? Looks like it's much bigger than I like and I prefer the feel of a real focussing helicoid. But I'll certainly try it out. For me the adage is: manual focus when I can and autofocus when I have to. AF zoom lenses? So convenient for family outings, vacations, the odd portrait etc. etc. For landscapes a wide and telephoto zoom lens are almost indispensable because they allow you to choose both your shooting position and suitable field of view. I don't care much for the "principle" of foot zooming.

These days I'm in the process of selling off most of my Minolta collection, I only intend to keep the 28mm lenses because I almost have the complete line-up. I don't see the point of keeping legacy glass now that there are so many viable native options. For instance, most of my 35mm lenses are gone because they only collected dust after I got the Loxia 2/35. I just might keep a few Minolta lenses around for the film bodies in case I want to use them someday.

I'm no stranger to GAS, especially not when it comes to lenses; cameras much less so. I have contemplated updating to the A7R3 from the A7R2 but decided that there's too little in it for me, I intend to at least wait for the Mark IV cameras.

Last edited:

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
So with all my used FE lens acquisitions of late, I'm wondering if I can downsize my lens collection. I'm thinking I can start with many of the APS-C lenses I still have for the A6000.

SEL18200 - Pretty much have to keep this, as it's the lens my wife uses most. I might consider trying to get her to use the SEL24240 instead, but there will be times when 24mm on APS-C just isn't wide enough, so the SEL18200 seems to be a reluctant keeper.

SEL24F18Z - A nice lens, although she doesn't use it all that much. I have her take it if she's meeting the girls for dinner, and might need to take some indoor low-light pictures. It's small enough that it doesn't get in the way if she has to use the pop-up flash. An alternative would be to let her use the SEL28F20. That would also be okay when using the pop-up flash. But it's not quite as wide as the 24, and if you need the UWC, then the flash is definitely blocked.

SEL50F18 - Least used of all the lenses. And the SEL55F18Z should work just as well.

SEL1018 - Rarely used, and with the acquisition of the SEL1224G, I wonder.

Then we get to the FE lenses...

SEL24240 - I pretty much am convinced that I no longer have a need for this beast. I would much rather be using the SEL24105G and SEL70200G, but sometimes switching lenses is inconvenient. Is it really worth keeping for the off chance I need an all-in-one for some occasion?

SEL28F20 + SEL075UWC - A nice compact lens if I want to carry something small, and know I will be needing wide angle. Shot most of the day at a state park with just the 28 (No converter) for a surprise birthday party. Painful to add/remove the converter though... Well, a pain if you want to put the rear cap back on, or need to put the lens hood back on the 28.

SEL55F18Z - Great little lens. But do I need it since I acquired the SEL2470GM?

SEL90F28M - Chose it over the SEL85F18 to have to chance to do macro, or product photography.

SEL24105G - Great walkaround lens. Obvious keeper.

SEL70200G - Much sharper than the SEL24240. Obvious keeper.

SEL2470GM - Got it only a week before the SEL24105G. Debating on keeping it, but really like it for indoor portraits. Perhaps even better than the SEL55F18Z, mostly because the zoom makes it a much more flexible option. I keep flipping between it being a must keep, to thinking it might be a maybe.

SEL1224G - Just got it, and haven't really had the chance to use it, but I know there are times when I would like something wider than 24. Seems like an obvious keeper.

So if I'm just going for a walk, the A7RM3 with the SEL24105G is great. For a bigger hike, the sling/backpack with the SEL1224G, SEL24105G, and SEL70200G should work, although there is no room in the sling for the filters to be used with the SEL1224G. I could go full backpack and do it, though.

And of course, the lenses I'm fairly sure I could part with (SEL50F18, SEL1018, SEL24240), are not going to get much money back. But I gotta start saving somewhere for the SEL100400GM, right?

From the looks of it, you're definitely more of a zoom shooter for that focal length convenience. I'd cull nearly all your primes, and the few redundant zooms.
As for the APS-C lenses....since it's more of a support for your wife's shooting, I'd ditch the primes there also. Especially that Zeiss 24-f/1.8. It's a piece of pricey glass sitting around doing nothing. Does she really need that big heavy 18-200mm? How often does she shoot at the long 300mm FOV end? Bet it's not often. I am not a proponent of a one-lens/hauled around your neck all-day, solutions. Nor am I a believer of bridge cameras like the new Nikon P1000.
I suggest selling this one too. Replace it with something smaller and more convenient, and shorter for those flash shots. SEL18-135 is pretty short and IMHO, 135mm on APS-C provides the reach for most situations. If you want one small light prime....add the Samyang FE 24-f/2.8. It's fast enough, and if you're going to shoot with the pop-up flash anyway. Plus, you can still use it on your full-frame. The 24mm f/2.8 can provide you the low-light capability of the 24-70GM that you're thinking of returning.
If she needs longer reach, she can reach into your bag for the 70-200G.

I believe if you want to maximize your resale cost, you're going to have to try to sell these privately. If it's trade-in at the camera store, you will be offered the minimum in order to make a profit on them.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I'm jealous! This thing is completely sold out in The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany.

I know. I bought mine used as they are almost impossible to find new. But you really have to watch for them even used. Over at the buy-sell forum at fredmiranda.com they never last more than a few hours after posting before someone buys it. That is where I got mine, listed as like-new condition and it was like opening a brand new lens.

I believe if you want to maximize your resale cost, you're going to have to try to sell these privately. If it's trade-in at the camera store, you will be offered the minimum in order to make a profit on them.

Especially this. Even after fees for the hosting site and/or PayPal you will get a lot more with a private sale, and it is not really too risky if you use a reasonable amount of caution. I bet some of those would sell here, if not then I would go to the FM site. I have bought off both, and ebay but I think ebay is riskier and a lot more hit-and-miss these days.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I just fell victim to the $100 burning a hole in my pocket and bought a used Nikkor 24mm off the GW site. I know it's a lot more risky than say ebay or C-list, but I couldn't help myself. I came to the harsh realization I'd never be able to afford a native 24 anything so decided to get another one. It should be a tad lighter to carry, I just hope it's as sharp as my present one is, when I hit focus with it that is.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
GW = Goodwill? I have heard you can sometimes find good deals there.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I just fell victim to the $100 burning a hole in my pocket and bought a used Nikkor 24mm off the GW site. I know it's a lot more risky than say ebay or C-list, but I couldn't help myself. I came to the harsh realization I'd never be able to afford a native 24 anything so decided to get another one. It should be a tad lighter to carry, I just hope it's as sharp as my present one is, when I hit focus with it that is.

I actually compared the Nikon 24mm 2.8 MF lens against the newer Samyang 24mm 2.8 AF FE lens on the A7III. The Nikon is so much better. Better contrast, resistance to flare and sharper image wide open. I didn't even bother to test corners, because the center was so weak on the Samyang I tried. Sometimes newer isn't necessarily better! ;)

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
GW = Goodwill? I have heard you can sometimes find good deals there.
Yes, Goodwill.
I've been pretty lucky with my purchases off that site. My all time favorite lens was bought off it (Micro Nikkor 55). Most of my SD1000's have come from there as well. I've gotten some train cars and track off it too.
I've found it pays to really look closely at the pictures they provide.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I actually compared the Nikon 24mm 2.8 MF lens against the newer Samyang 24mm 2.8 AF FE lens on the A7III. The Nikon is so much better. Better contrast, resistance to flare and sharper image wide open. I didn't even bother to test corners, because the center was so weak on the Samyang I tried. Sometimes newer isn't necessarily better! ;)

That is encouraging Jonathan! Thanks for sharing that info as I was almost ready to consider getting a Samyang.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
From the looks of it, you're definitely more of a zoom shooter for that focal length convenience. I'd cull nearly all your primes, and the few redundant zooms.
As for the APS-C lenses....since it's more of a support for your wife's shooting, I'd ditch the primes there also. Especially that Zeiss 24-f/1.8. It's a piece of pricey glass sitting around doing nothing. Does she really need that big heavy 18-200mm? How often does she shoot at the long 300mm FOV end? Bet it's not often. I am not a proponent of a one-lens/hauled around your neck all-day, solutions. Nor am I a believer of bridge cameras like the new Nikon P1000.
I suggest selling this one too. Replace it with something smaller and more convenient, and shorter for those flash shots. SEL18-135 is pretty short and IMHO, 135mm on APS-C provides the reach for most situations. If you want one small light prime....add the Samyang FE 24-f/2.8. It's fast enough, and if you're going to shoot with the pop-up flash anyway. Plus, you can still use it on your full-frame. The 24mm f/2.8 can provide you the low-light capability of the 24-70GM that you're thinking of returning.
If she needs longer reach, she can reach into your bag for the 70-200G.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards keeping the FE28, and selling the FE55. I only need one "small" prime for a light, "grab the camera only and go day", and I think the 28 will be more useful there than the FE55.

Before I got the A7RM3, I used the A6000 with the 24-240, and used the 24-f/1.8 a lot myself. But I should go into Capture One and check her catalogs to see how often she has actually used the 1.8. But the FE28 could likely be used instead of the 1.8 for most cases, keeping one lens... Unless we both needed that lens at the same time :confused:

As for the 18-200, I gave my wife the option of using the original 18-55 and 55-210, or buying the 18-200, 18-135, or 16-70 as her one lens for trips and such. She chose the 18-200. I should again, go into Capture One on her laptop and check out what range of focal lengths she actually uses. I don't think she'll touch the 70-200G, that thing is way too big/heavy in her opinion.

I don't think I would benefit from the Samyang 24 - Most of my times when I need that focal length, I'm shooting landscape at f/8. The test portraits I've taken indoors where I might want f/2.8 have all been in the 50-70 range using the 24-70GM. I used to use the 55 there, which is why I keep flipping between the 55 and 24-70GM.

I appreciate the feedback. Will keep it all in mind as I sort this out.

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
Ok, first of all this thread is a showoff, lol joking offcourse :D
Someone has one to many lenses haha.
If it were me in your shoes (I wish it was), I would sell everything apsc except the 18-200.
Full frame wise, I’d probably keep the 55mm instead of the 28mm or better sell both and get a 35mm. Keep the 70-200, 24-70 GM, 12-24, and maybe the macro. Everything else I would sell (24-240, 24-105, 28)

Last edited:

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
I normally get a once-a-year bonus that is used to fund my lens or camera buying. I decided to take this year off and continue to enjoy using what I have. But it is fun to read the thoughts and plans and reasons that all of you have. I have kept a minimal Leica M8 system that I probably should sell because it really is just collecting dust. ...hmmm I wonder what new equipment that might fund.... <--example of GAS.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
If it were me in your shoes (I wish it was), I would sell everything apsc except the 18-200.
Full frame wise, I’d probably keep the 55mm instead of the 28mm or better sell both and get a 35mm. Keep the 70-200, 24-70 GM, 12-24, and maybe the macro. Everything else I would sell (24-240, 24-105, 28)
Heh. We all should have such a problem, right? Thanks for the thoughts, will keep them in mind.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro

Nick, did you get your A7III yet?

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
OK, my lens made it out of North Carolina ahead of the hurricane and is now in Seligmen AZ. Looks like it'll get here on time on Wed. of this week.

Latest threads

Top Bottom