The camera I would like to see

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by TonyTurley, Sep 11, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Whatever your opinion of the A3000, it has definitely got people talking. Many had hoped for a FF camera from Sony. I will most likely end up buying an A3000, but my real camera wish would be a rugged version of a Nex. I hike a lot, and I do have a Panasonic Lumix TS-4 tough camera that I bought on Black Friday last year, specifically for outdoor use. It is indeed rugged, water and dust resistant, and I have proven it to be shock resistant by dropping it, with nary a scratch. However, its image quality can't hold a candle to my 5R, and I haven't taken it in the woods once since I purchased the Nex. Inclement weather will be upon us before we know it, and I will probably have to go back to carrying the Lumix for a while, since one of our fellow forum members recently demonstrated that a Nex doesn't like H2O.

I would love to see a similar camera to the TS-4 in an APS format. It probably wouldn't be inexpensive, but a water resistant, dust resistant, shock resistant Nex would definitely find its way into my bag.

Tony

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  3. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Very nice, but I think I'll stick with the Nex platform. I'll have to see what I can find in a weather covering for the Nex.

Tony

4. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I gaffer tape a supermarket carrier bag to the lens hood and pull it back over the camera. Been doing it for years. Works a treat!

5. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    just get some freezer food bags, the zip lock ones, preferably clear all over but the ones with the white label in the plastic can be used too.

Stick camera in freezer bag, zip lock up while forcing excess air out.

Got this as a tip from a pro photographer here in Northern Ireland (where is rains a lot!) and it basically 100% rain proofs your camera. It wont do for submersion because of the obvious pressure involved, but it does protect camera and lens from any form of precipitation! Freezer bag is thin and clear enough to not effect handling or picture quality, but you need to be careful to hold the plastic tight over the front of the lens.

6. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Excellent ideas, guys, and they will save me a few $$$. :D

Tony

7. ajm80031

ajm80031 TalkEmount Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    I've seen this mentioned on various photographic forums, but I'm not sure what people are hoping to see. I would expect that full-frame isn't possible with E-mount lenses as they have presumably been designed to produce an imaging circle that's optimized for an APC-C sized sensor. Building a mirrorless camera that takes Sony's Alpha-mount lenses doesn't seem to make a lot of sense either. That lens system dates back to Minolta's 35mm film days and was built for a flange-back distance that includes space for a mirror box. Sure Sony could build a mirrorless camera that uses them, but they'd need to maintain that same flange-back distance and so would lose much of the advantage of a mirrorless system (thinner cameras and the ability to use 3rd-party lenses with adapters). Creating yet another lens family for a full-frame mirrorless family doesn't seem all that likely either.

Sony's definitely up to something (rumor is that the A58 is their last consumer-level D-SLRish camera that will incorporate a mirror) but exactly what is hard to say. There are rumors that Sony is planning a camera that focuses by moving the sensor (rather than the lens elements) and that would indeed be a completely different beast.

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There are FF and APS-C lenses for other mounts, why not E-mount? If a APS-C E-mount lens were to be mounted on a FF NEX body it should still work. It wouldn't cover the FF sensor, but Sony could easily allow it to use a center crop of the sensor. A FF E-mount lens would work on either a FF body or a APSC body without issue. We truly live in interesting times. :)

9. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    It's the flange distance on e-mount, it's so tiny sony have to make some impressive feats of optics to get a flat image on it from 11mm or so. Basically for FF at that tiny range it will be even more difficult. Dooable but difficult. For difficult read expensive! :)

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    If you're designing FF lenses on the E-mount there are several ways to go: 1) you simply take an A-mount lens and put an E-mount flange on and use the A-mount registration distance (like a legacy lens+adapter) making the lens longer than it normally is, 2) you design a new FF lens with a longer registration distance than the 18mm of the NEX, but shorter than A-mount, 3) you design a new FF lens with the 18mm NEX registration distance (which as you've stated is going to be difficult and expensive).

No reason to lock yourself into the 18mm NEX registration distance for a FF lens on E-mount. :)

11. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    18mm that was it! I recon they will go for option 3 hard work and genius optics (and big bucks lol) also this option will allow folks to use FF nex lenses on any nex. A bit like the FF lenses on nikon and canon.

12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It is better to have short flange focal distance as you can always move the lens out. What is more important is that E-mount has got diameter of 46mm and 24mm*36mm sensor has got diagonal of 43 mm so the mount isn't restricting image projection to the sensor. Unfortunately 36 mm * 36 mm square sensor would have diagonal of 51 mm and may be clipped with some lenses (I think that after FF there will be more cameras with larger sensors and square sensor doesn't need much larger image circle than rectilinear one).