1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The built-in flash trick.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by nianys, Nov 17, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    The GX-1 I had has a built in flash that can be gently pushed back and locked into bounce position, turning ugly caught-in-the-headlights-deer look into beautifully exposed and naturally lit photos. I used it many times.
    The NEX cameras with built in flash behave the same I think, unless the flash can't be locked back, you have to keep it pushed back with your index, and trip the shutter with any other finger that you fancy. Not the most convenient thing, not to mention the fact the bounce degree can get rather random at some point.
    I cut a tiny piece of cardboard to keep the flash pushed all the way back without hurting the assembly. It works absolutely beautifully. If would dare say, if you don't need the portrait orientation, and shoot close up, it works exactly as well as my SB-600, at about ten times smaller and less unwieldy.
    Try it ;)

aee01d0326445dc316eca62cd955051a_eae.

Sorry for the horrible iPhone picture where u can barely see the cardboard piece, but at least you get to see the Auto Revuenon mounted ;)

2. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Very clever. I have an F3 that have all but decided to hold on to instead of a 5N in part because of the F3's built in flash and this is another argument in favor of that position. I am not a big flash user, generally having used it for fill outdoors but avoiding it indoors due to the harsh light. The ability to bounce the flash and do so in a consistent manner would really help matters.

3. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I can garantee you that if you have your settings rights, it's just as good as a big external flash. However, that applies to the use of fast primes, and not too far away. That being said, no built-in flash can probably handle slow lenses or faraway subjects to start with...

4. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Yup love this flexible built in flash. I was going to buy an external flash when I had the nex7 but figured out this bounce trick and saved myself some money :D Glad the 6 uses the same flexible flash.

5. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    yeah, it really helps, I've been tempted to buy an external flash and was thinking about buying HVL F20AM, but I´m using this method and helped me a lot, I used to wear in the nex5n, really works.

6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    A bit silly it can't lock in place though. I've been using my finger, I'll give the cardboard a shot.

7. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Totally agree. The GX-1's unit locks in place "at your own risks", but does so very well. I can't for the life of me understand Sony didn't build theirs similarly. It's a fantastic feature that turns dumb, unusable ugly flash into smart, lovely and frigging useful flash. Go figure..