1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The bridge

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by addieleman, May 29, 2013.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    #2 is just wonderful :thumbup:

Sometimes I wish I could "see" things as some of you guys here...

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    No kidding. I've wandered out of the house many times now, intending to do some "street photography," but always seem to come back either empty-handed or with a bunch of worthless, uninteresting images. I'm convinced that there's something out there worth shooting, but I just don't "see" it.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Though I see some of your other excellent/strong points in your Flickr page ;)

5. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Number 2 has so many layers of focus, nice!

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice, but I would have included a bit more of the bridge on the first one.

7. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I agree, couldn't get in more of the bridge and avoid getting background clutter in at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

8. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I like these photos, especially the second one. It is slighly deconstructed, capturing a scene using a few fragmentary elements.

Wood, you have a great eye for photos. I remember being impressed with those sliding rocks, how you captured the lines in the sand. And there are many great ones in your flickr page.

9. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Surely agree with that, a lot of great pictures there. Note to self: must check out work of others more often. And I can't count the times that I came home with a card full of pictures only to end up discarding them all.

10. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    It's easy to be too self-critical. Hard-drive space is cheap so I keep all mine, even the duds. Sometimes when you look at them again, you find some good photos there. Trying to resurrect dead photos is also a good way to practice processing, I find.

Also, Ad, your photos are great. I have looked at them at various forums, when I have been trying to decide which vintage lens to get next.

11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You're surely right about being too self-critical, Jaf-Photo. Though I've been known to err in the other direction too! :p

But I didn't mean to imply that I wasn't a capable photographer (nor was I fishing for a compliment ;) ). I think I can shoot a pretty decent landscape when I come across a good scene. But it's the kinds of photography that I don't often try, street-shooting for example, or portraits, where I just can't see the things that, say, people like Colin or Freddy obviously see. What's missing?

Practice, practice, practice, I guess.

It's good to see you back, BTW.

12. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Every photographer has a comfort zone. To get better we must take ourselves out of that familiar terrain. I used to be terrified of street shooting, but now I do it without thinking. Not saying it's any good of course.

But then again, we shouldn't tbe afraid to take the shots we love just because we've done them before.

Thanks for the welcome back. Somebody got my goat but that's my fault more than anybody else's.