1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The benefits of having even a cheap Point & Shoot for the unexpected 'grab shot'

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by roundball, Nov 7, 2013.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Coming out of the dark woods after deer hunting in the cold yesterday, this is what greeted me.
    Only had a little Canon Powershot in my hunting vest, no tripod, but it was too pretty not to try.
    Would rather have this memory shot 'as is' than not have it at all for wanting better gear.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    That's exactly what I saw last night driving home. But by the time I got home and put my kiddo to bed, I found I couldn't see the moon from my house.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Yup. It definitely pays to have some sort of worthy capture device on one's person at all times.

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    It's amazing the number of similar replies this simple grab shot has received from several different geographies on different Forums.

Would have been nice to have been there with tripod and some other gear...but unfortunately and understandably I can't / won't risk leaving expensive gear in an unattended parked vehicle for a few hours along side a desolate country road.

• Like Like x 1
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Thus the demand for good cell phone cameras.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Don't know which Moderator did it, but thanks for correcting the typo in my thread title

7. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Yup still love my point and shoot. This was also the main reason that i went for a mirrorless. It was really painful hearing all the DSLR users say "i have a DSLR but its at home"

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

8. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    My point and shoot is my NEX-6 with SELP1650 :D
    When I definitely wont be carrying anything with me then it is my Galaxy Note 2 but honestly my Phone picture I consider more like pictures I use to show someone something for a purpose like some sign I need translated or some document they need fast, or maybe if I spot a UFO or Bigfoot :D

9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    My take-everywhere P&S is the EOS-M 22mm kit. Bigger than a real P&S but when an unexpected opportunity arises (as seems to happen surprisingly often) the results are potentially exhibition quality.

I may have drawn the short straw with my smartphone. It does good close-ups but beyond a few feet - even for portraits - it screws up the focus and looks like crap every single time. I'll have to make sure my next phone doesn't do that.

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    My little Canon Powershot was pretty advanced for it hey-day but that was about 10 yrs ago.
    Have thought if the NEX-7 prices do really come down a lot in 2014 I might get one and put a spare FD lens on it.

11. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
  12. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    • Like Like x 4