• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

The auto sensor remapping of Sony cameras counts as shutter clicks!

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I've left my Sony A9 on electronic shutter since I received it last week. Recently checking the mechanical shutter count on my A9 body, I noticed that it was going up a few clicks from the first time I checked it. After thinking about it I came to the conclusion the camera considers the sensor remapping feature as a shutter click! I guess there is no way to disable it, since it's supposed to remap the sensor every first of the month (though it seems to happen more frequently). I'm a little bummed you can't disable this feature, because I'd prefer not to add more clicks on my camera than need be! ;) Though I've read the Sony A9/A9II and even the A7RIII/IV are rated for 500K clicks!

Just wanted to share this information so others are aware that sensor remapping does count as a shutter click!

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
That actually makes sense though, since it does in fact trip the mechanical shutter, right? In any case, I am sure most of us will have moved on to another camera body before reaching the shutter's rated life.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've noticed that my A7Rm4 does this remapping a few times per month. I don't think those 30-odd clicks per year will hurt my camera, not likely to lose any sleep over it...
It won't hurt, but I was hoping to keep my A9 shutter count going passed the 6K mark, since it's at 5964 clicks currently! It's like trying to keep my odometer low on my collectable sports car! :D

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
It won't hurt, but I was hoping to keep my A9 shutter count going passed the 6K mark, since it's at 5964 clicks currently! It's like trying to keep my odometer low on my collectable sports car! :D
That sounds like the waste of an A9 to me. Digital cameras drop in value rapidly enough that the shutter count becomes largely irrelevant, it might make a difference keeping it below 60K, but I don't really think so.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That sounds like the waste of an A9 to me. Digital cameras drop in value rapidly enough that the shutter count becomes largely irrelevant, it might make a difference keeping it below 60K, but I don't really think so.
The silent shutter doesn't count as clicks on the A9, which is how I shoot with it default. Saying that, I'd prefer Sony allow some control regarding the sensor remapping feature, similar to how other camera brands let you remap as a menu option.

The silent shutter doesn't count as clicks on the A9, which is how I shoot with it default. Saying that, I'd prefer Sony allow some control regarding the sensor remapping feature, similar to how other camera brands let you remap as a menu option.
I can understand that a separate menu option would be nice for those who need to be in control of when to perform sensor remapping. There is a workaround: set the date to 1 month earlier or later and switch off the camera; sensor remapping takes place. Switch it on and set the date to the current date again.

Top Bottom