1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The adapter to rule them all

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by unlo, Sep 20, 2015.

1. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I think Sony should just make a Canon to E mount adapter already. These hacky 3rd party adaptors are out of control

3. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Not particularly in their best interest while selling Sony lenses to sell an adapter to use the competitors stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah, that is no doubt why they haven't. But that argument is definitely wrong, it is in their best interests to ensure people buying their camera have a good experience. And they market it as being adaptable, Canon is particularly important because of DSLR film makers

5. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    My guess is this....

Canon and Nikon lenses were never designed to work with CDAF and dont inherently have the 'right' autofocus motors to optimize their performance.

On that basis however 'brilliant' the adapter, it is unlikely to enable Canikon lenses to perform as well as Sony/Zeiss other E mount lenses will perform on A7 body.

So from my perspective 'adapters' will only ever 'bridge' the gap between Sony's offerings and what is available elsewhere. They can obviously also ease the pain of switching systems for some people.

Along these lines I dont see much point in Sony introducing adapters. People will simple claim that the 'adapter' isnt that good because say their Canon lenses dont work perfectly on an A7 camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    +1 "Sony should make adaptors for Canikon already."
    If not, somebody else will. The question is who does it better? An example such as Metabone IV and folks are willing fork over 400 buckaroos.
    Though, everyone knows that native lenses are always better in some ways and especially its supported features.

7. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Just bought one. Hope it will work well with the 135L.

8. soopadoopa

soopadoopa TalkEmount Regular

Jun 3, 2015
    how's it doing?

9. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, FWIW...the only lenses I use are manual Canon FDn lenses from the 70's & 80's with CIECIO7 FD>NEX adapters and I couldn't be more pleased.
    CIECIO7 adapters are in the middle of the price range between the common entry level adapters and the high priced nosebleed adapters.

10. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    On A7, with the old 1.10 firmware, the performance is really bad. However after the recent update to 1.20 firmware, this 135L lens focusing speed is as fast as it on a 6D, and spot on. I am very impressed. The only bad thing is sometimes it will lock up the camera on AF-S mode. I switch to AF-C mode and it's better. But I do hope the future update will resolve this issue.

• Like Like x 1
  11. soopadoopa

soopadoopa TalkEmount Regular

Jun 3, 2015
    Well, that's good news. Glad it wasn't a bust. Anyone try this on the A6000?

12. Wallkandy

Wallkandy New to TalkEmount

Dec 22, 2015
    Having invested considerably in Canon lenses I bought the Metabone IV adapter with high hopes. I took it back the next day, it was awful for my purposes and a terrible disappointment given the expense and as a result now leaves me with a gap in the focal ranges available.

Yes it doesn't make sense commercially for Sony to provide users with a platform to use other branded lenses but the net result in my case is I would have bought a second Sony body as a spare but instead I'm looking at Canon's EOS M3 to utilise the specific lenses I need for my work whilst keeping my kit light for travel.

13. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Which lenses did you use? Did you update the firmware also? I have noticed the la-ea3/metabones 4 gets worse with low light and also very lens dependent, eg faster lenses might be better. la-ea4 adapter works the best of all and it is even old tech, eg not fast like A77 II af...

Here is Canon 50mm 1.2 L shoot with Metabones 4 from Jason Lanier:

14. Wallkandy

Wallkandy New to TalkEmount

Dec 22, 2015
    Hi Serhan

Yes i updated the firmware straightaway and that in itself was done after the store told me how to. The Metabones adapter build quality was exceptional but surprisingly there were no instructions or indicators in the box to tell the user how to perform a firmware update.

I tried the adapter on a whole array of L series lenses both fixed and zoom. I tried it on the 14mm, 50mm, 85mm, 100mm, 24 - 70, 17 - 40 and 70 -200. Results were mixed but all underwhelming. The real issues came in low light or action where autofocus was almost non-existent.

Upon return the feedback from the store was that customers were getting mixed results, some adapters worked whilst others didn't. For a £400 piece of kit it just didn't fill me with confidence at all and would have resulted in me missing many of the shots I needed.

I was also using the Sony LE-EA4 with Minolta and Sony 'A' fit lenses and that just blew the Metabones away & reinforced how poor the Metabones I had was. I did research its ability before purchasing and maybe I was unlucky but the online reviews I read afterwards were certainly leaning more to poor than exceptional performance.

For photographers that are setting a shot up and are happy to use manual focus the adapter will be fine, for anyone shooting action or low light and needing autofocus I'd caution buying the Metabones without testing it first on your own kit. There are many available used on auction sites whilst retail supplies have been tight, that in itself indicates to me that a large proportion are failing expectations.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  15. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    400 quid for an adapter that sometimes work and sometimes don't? That's not acceptable! Are you listening Metabones?

16. snpr9696

snpr9696 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    I used its in my A7II with a sigma EF mount 70-200 2.8 and it was fine. Not so good in low light. 50mm and 24-70 Canon L were good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk