1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Accidental Tourist: The other Iceland

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by SpaceManSpiff, Dec 4, 2015.

1. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Unexpectedly, I was given an opportunity to travel to Sweden in September together with some family and friends.

After a week of frantic running around trying to get prepared, I found myself at the Denver Airport looking at an impression of snow-capped peaks nestled among the steel and glass of the buildings.

SELP 1650 @50mm f/8
    table4chairs-03912-XL.

I collapsed into my seat with the trusty NEX-6 with its petite kit lens, 3 OM lenses (28 f/2.8, 50 f/1.4, and 135 f/2.8), and Miss Bronica (my medium format film camera) along for the ride.

First stop--an excruciatingly brief layover in Iceland. After spending the first day prowling around Reijkavik (the Harp concert hall and Hallgrim church are really interesting from an architectural standpoint), we did a Golden Circle mini-bus tour the next day. Given the enormous popularity of this tour and that you probably have seen enough geyser and waterfall pictures, I thought I share some other images from this trip. The other Iceland.

There was something strange and almost alien in the landscapes.

The Cave of the Mountain King SELP 1650 @ 16mm f/8
    Iceland-04179-XL.

23.7% of Icelands trees are visible in this picture (j/k!) OM 28
    Iceland-04254-XL.

Taken from the rift valley at Tingvellir, the rock wall in the background is the eastern edge of the North American tectonic plate. The flat moss-covered rock in the foreground apparently is the Law Rock where the prevailing laws were recited to the vikings gathered below during parliamentary gatherings.

Law Rock OM 50
    Iceland-04262-XL.

In route to Geysir, I somehow managed to grab this shot with the OM50
    Iceland-04327-XL.

During an emergency pit stop to pet the friendly and feisty Icelandic horses (don't call them ponies, they get insulted), I felt that the rendering of the OM50 matched the character of the horses.
    Iceland-04336-L.

The hills behind Geysir were more interesting to me than the spouting water
    OM 135
    Iceland-04423-XL.

OM 50 or OM 28
    Iceland-04439-XL.

The Gullfoss waterfall didn't disappoint anyone as it greeted us with a beautiful rainbow. The subsequent soak in the Secret Lagoon felt pretty darn great after all the running around.
    Not quite satisfied when we returned to the hotel, we headed up to the observation deck of the The Pearl to catch the sunset.

The Pearl at Sunset OM 50
    Iceland-04652-XL.

I really enjoyed my all to brief visit in Iceland and would love to go back someday.
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Such a fascinating place.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    What a landscape! Wonderful images, great job!

• Like Like x 1
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow, what a beautiful place and thanks for "taking us with you" through your excellent photos!!! :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Some great shots there !!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Eric, beautiful images. Thank you for sharing them with us. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  7. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Great shots Eric. I enjoyed the pics and the captions. You took us along for the ride.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I think that might be the only time I have seen pictures of Iceland that included large flat spaces, apprently with vegetation, and devoid of geysers or waterfalls. :)

Very nice shots.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Oh man, I want more! Great travelogue, Eric. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. michealj

michealj TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 2, 2015
    Blaine, MN
    Wonderful images. I especially enjoyed seeing Tingvellier and the Law Rock, they are prominent in the Icelandic sagas. Now I can see the location when I read a saga. Thanks.

Micheal

• Like Like x 1
  11. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Thanks, guys! I appreciate your responses!
    It really had an otherworldly air about it. Sometimes a whif of Lord of the Rings, other times perhaps an off-world colony in a Sci-fi movie.
    Don't think I have ever seen anything quite like the scene in the Cave of the Mountain King.

Anytime, through everyone's pictures here I get to see some cool places, I thought it was time for me to share.

Excellent! That is was I was going for with this post --there is a lot more to Iceland than those things. I saw wild mountain ranges, expansive fields of moss covered rocks that called to me. On the return flight (approaching Iceland from the East) I flew over some stunning coastlines with black beaches butting up against white glaciers that were absolutely captivating. One day, I will return.

Ha! Be careful what you wish for. If you want more, I got more --especially a Stockholm set I would like to share.

Oh, that's great Micheal! You are welcome. It has been a while since I read an Icelandic Saga myself (Njal's Saga IIRC), but now have a copy of the Edda waiting for me on my bookshelf.

Thanks again,
    Eric

12. DailyPeaksCO

DailyPeaksCO Guest

Exceptional opportunity, hope you have more in the future.
    Wanted to thank you for working outside the "box" or the tourist bus. Your choice of perspectives offer more than a tourist bus itinerary identifies. Why duplicate perspectives which we already know, this was mentioned by a viewers previous post. I wanted to say, I like that you incorporate layering composition in your landscape images. From front to subject to background I am led with information throughout the image. For me yours here speak to "the passage of time", I mean in centuries, thru seeing its' size and scale. Thank you for showing them in color. I like that today in their glory, their color shows them to still be alive. In a few of these images, it's sad to see there is only that much water left from the centuries of carving away at the earth. I don't even think I can choose any one of them that captures the "Most Aged Award", they all offer an equal representation of their years.
    In closing I would agree, Denver International Airport did a great job in creating their bricks and mortar rendition of the Colorado Rocky Mountain Range and capped peaks non-the-less with snow.
    Thanks for heading out to the old country and sharing your work.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Thanks for your comment DailyPeaksCO and allowing me to share my journey with you!