The 10 top 2012 Pics Fungus Lens Challenge

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by nianys, Jan 23, 2013.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Hey guys

so I'm NEXless (and even almost cameraless, save an old battered S90 P&S my husband has made me swear I'd never sell) at the moment. My new "interim" body, a Fuji X10 (finally shipping today after some payment glitches) should be here on Friday. I intend to shoot it until I form a clearer idea of what camera I TRULY want to get next.
    In the meantime, I'm soon gonna go over my lens/camera gear drawer, to see what will stay and what might go. The case of the Fungus Lens is unclear. As some of you might remember, in the process of collecting and testing out "nifty" lenses, I ended up with a bunch of similar Rokkors. The very first 50/1.7 MD (49mm filter) I bought seemed to be perfect, and gave me beautiful results, until, upon much closer inspection, I discovered some light fungus inside. It immediately took a spin in the oven (as instructed on the web to stop any further mold progression) and has been stored in affectionate dryness ever since. The fact this lens performs favorably, along with slim figure and unpretentious weight and looks, make me very fond ot it. I have nicknamed it The Fungus Lens. I do have a 50/1.4 MC that I purchased a bit later, bundled with an identical 1.7 to the Fungus Lens, except the second copy was absolutely pristine all over. Nick here on the board can testify of this, since he purchased it and put it to beautiful use ever since. I had a third, 52mm filter thread, earlier "X" era copy bought last, that I sold locally yesterday.
    Having parted with NEX for the time, and until Focus Peaking is more widely implemented in Compact Camera Systems, I'm likely to part with yet a few more legacies, and some NEX adapters as well.
    I intend to keep the 50/1.4 MC for potential future use, but I hate to see something as casual, unpretentious and photograph friendly as The Fungus Lens not getting some love from some dedicated (or rookie, why not) legacy glass lover.
    So, unless the board master Amin denies me permission to do so, I'd like to call the Top Ten 2012 Pictures, Fungus Lens challenge. As the title implies, please enter with a 10 photo series made in 2012 (with any camera, the pictures just need to have been made in 2012). On February 1st the entries will be closed, and we all can vote for our favorite series. Everybody can vote, even without entering, but each member can pick only ONE series, and candidates may not vote for their own contribution. You may indicate the gear used for each shot, or any anecdote detail that you'll judge useful, you may even add text to your shots if you like, as in a blog post. On Feb 5th votes will be closed, and I commit to sending the winner The Fungus Lens at my cost, wherever they may be in the world. How's that ?? I will myself post a 10 pic series, but of course as a non competing member.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh, 2012 ... This was a great year! It was the year I got my first Zeiss lens - the 24mm f/1.8 one. It was the year I first printed bigger than 90x60cm. It was the first year I felt comfortable as a enthusiast - and no longer like a rookie.

Great challenge! Here are my picks for 2012.

All shot using a NEX-5 with my 24mm f/1.8 CZ - except the third one. This one was shot with an iPhone 4 and shows my camera waiting for the sun to set to shoot the picture directly above it.

6931085636_5a05b67a25_z.

6921257577_faed307b17_z.

8113297017_2687a84466_z.

7590248326_5a239f12d3_z.

7796462254_cd62a566cb_z.

7811424128_d25a215f01_z.

7966456406_b698b53ccc_z.

3. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Excellent set and thanks for your contribution !!
    1 and 5 are my faves

4. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    I'm not even sure if I can post one single pictures in this thread after seeing the first serie...;)

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Glad you like them!

@Grisu_HDH: Don't hesitate and show what you've got! The most important thing is to have fun - and I'm still a beginner, so not hard to beat in such a challenge.

Oh, and I love the quote from Heiko Kanzler in your signature. Will use it the next time somebody questions if a lens is worth 1000. ;)

6. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Yeah sure, Poki put the bar pretty high, but hey, who wouldn't REALLY want to win The Fungus Lens ;) ?!?

7. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
  8. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Ah ah, Roscoe and Julian, so precious... The X10 birdbath pic awes me every time...

9. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Wow, the sense of depth in the 'Infinitum' photo looks awesome!

10. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Trooper took my breath away!

11. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    The journey so far.............i'm in!

Started taking photos in May 2012; inspired by my wedding photogpraher, and as much as my photos are not overly creative, inspiring or even compositionally correct half the time, I enjoy that they leave footprints in time, to look back on and recall captured moments and the memories they evoke. :D

honeymoon_0001.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DSC07838 (2).

[​IMG]

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    What an excellent idea for a thread Claire!!! :thumbup:

I myself will not compete since I don't really have so many good shots to share but I will definately give my vote ;)

Yup, it is in fact a mint lens!!!
    This lens will stay with me forever - I will always remember it/cherish it as my 1st MF adapted legacy lens and the one who taught me the beauty of MF and for that I am greatful ;)

13. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Having Roscoe, Harley and Julian and built-in models is half the battle. :eek:

14. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Teefin I cannot *believe* how much your pics touch me on a deeper level. There is an instantness, a reality to them, that I just adore...

15. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Yes, I think I should have excluded you from the start, plus you already have enough Rokkors as it is ;)

16. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    That is a truly lovely thing to say Claire, thank you! Any progress I've made since September has been in no small part down to the help and inspiration I've received here, most notably from you; I'm grateful :)

17. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I'm out too... I already have the exact same lens (complete with a little fungus too, lol).

I got one some time ago because of you Claire! :D

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but it's very good judging from some test shots I made. Definitely worth competing for! A great idea Claire and extra generous of you to pay for the shipping too. Ah, another wonderful TalkNex tradition - Lens Giveaway Competitions, what a great forum we have!! :)

18. LouisJohnD

LouisJohnD TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    2012 was a wonderful year for me - I reconnected with my best friend who had lost his way, I spent more time with the people I love (and photographed them) and I finally chose what college I will move on to in order to earn my Bachelor's degree in Fine Art Photography. I also began my 365 project on December 21st, 2012 (haha) and I'm loving it. It also happens to be the year I discovered this wonderful forum, upgraded from the NEX-5N to the 6 and purchased the (TalkNEX recommended) Sigma 30mm F2.8 which has not left my camera since it's arrival. Here are my favorite memories from 2012:

Candy 2012.

Chris Rainc2012.

CocktailsBistro 2012.

Fattman 2012.

Grandparents with Leslie 2012.

1/2

19. LouisJohnD

LouisJohnD TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    2/2

Martys Dudley 2012.

Miyah in Laughter 2012.

Scarborough Beach 2012.JPG

Scott 2012.

Steph Shower 2012.

I apologize for the split post, I'm still a bit new to the forum so I'm not exactly clear on the uploading requirements.

20. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Too hard on yourself! - this is CREATIVE, INSPIRATIONAL & BEAUTIFULLY FRAMED! ;)