The ‘ground feeding’ Northern Flicker returned for more Photo-Ops.

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Feb 2, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    Has to be one of the most beautiful birds in Nature...cannot get over the wide variety of markings, and colors.
    The lower layer of tail feathers are white with what reminds me of black-ace-of-spades printed on top of them.
    The next / 2nd / layer of tail feathers just above those are black with similar but different light tan colored splotches.
    ( these have a yellow trace along the outer edges...and is why it's a.k.a. Yellow Shafted Flicker ).
    The next / 3rd / top layer of tail feathers are tan with yet a different design of black splotches on them.

Then the more obvious black dots all over the breast.
    The black bib under the neck and black 'mustache'.
    Gray and Red markings on the head and neck.
    Just on and incredible array of colors and patterns.

Canon FDn 400/4.5 on NEX-7

• Like Like x 5
  2. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Excellent photos.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Lucked out with all the conditions being just right...good light, a solid rest, etc
    • Like Like x 1
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Very sharp!!!
    The background, being more or less the same colors as the bird, spoils it just a little for me, but nice shots nevertheless ;)
    I would have probably either boost the contrast in post or maybe use a smaller f/stop for blurring the background
    • Like Like x 1
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    One thing I've learned about shooting birds of this type is that when I discover such an opportunity, I have to act...they do not stick time to ponder / calculate like shooting a static scene.

Top priority was to quickly find an aperture at that distance that would ensure the entire (very large) bird would be in the zone of focus, and I could literally see the band of Focus Peaking as it swept back & forth on the leaves as I dialed him in.

I opened up to the biggest aperture I could get away with in hopes of throwing the background out of focus while still keeping him bracketed in that band of Focus Peaking...I got the shots, they did turn out razor sharp / beautiful colors, and given the rarity of opportunity I have to shoot a Flicker, I'll take them.

• Like Like x 1