1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

That's what 24mp is up to

Discussion in 'Nature' started by nianys, Jan 15, 2013.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    34952c29202913070d934c213c6e14c3_e50.

This is a lowly jpg shot from the NEX 7. I was too lazy to make a 100% crop on the focus area but the amount of detailed viewed at full res is impressive.

While I'm at it I'm throwing in a couple from tonight, all are shot with the PK 55/1.8

2d7ca949752f036d1deb6dde99ff2ad3_e50.

3615fbc37d281402d47bc0ffa30203b7_e50.

97d06af003d0f6eb3c6af80c0fa6a5f3_e50.

As you can see the kiddo already looks pretty serious (when he's not being goofy, that is)

2. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    1 cute pup, and 4 great pics! ;)

3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Awesome expression on the first pic... it's just begging for a mouse or something to be photoshopped-in!

The second pic is such a 'princely' pose.

A very intelligent (compassionate) and lovely dog, judging by its eyes... :)

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    And in the third pic he's thinking "Really? No, really?" LOL

5. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    ha ha
    the poor dog is thinking, " I can't sit here like this all day, Why can 't you autofocus like everybody else" ?

that is one beautiful pup you have there

3615fbc37d281402d47bc0ffa30203b7_e50.

6. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    Beautiful pictures of a beautiful puppy. Well drawn, beautiful head and alert, keep everything good in the holes.
    New collar. :)

7. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Here's my caption...

"Is that a NEX7 she's got? I wonder why she went for that instead of the Fuji? I hear the AF is kinda slow."

Doberman's are VERY opinionated.

8. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Thank you guys !! Yes they are opinionated alright (at least he was at 5:30 am when I let him out to pee and he wouldn't go back in his crate for the rest of the night without a little hollering). Good job on noticing the new collar ! The previous one was making him look like a farm dog, and not the (overly IMO) expensive purebred that he is... In fact he's a pretty thoughtful dog who tends to hold poses a bit, so MF is usually ok to nail him.
    Kevin in all seriousness the Fuji sirens call is becoming deafening, and harder to resist by the day... Especially now that they have both peaking AND fast (REALLY fast, I saw a demo video) AF on the new X100s. Only glitch is I don't think I can live with a fixed 35mm equivalent...

9. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    The 1st one is really nice!!! Cute little boy... or it is a boy or isn't he!?!?!?

And concerning the 24MP...
    Just repeat my words:
    "I don't need 24MP... I don't need 24MP... I don't need 24MP... I don't need 24MP... I don't need 24MP... I don't need 24MP... I don't need 24MP... I don't need 24MP... I don't need 24MP... I don't need 24MP... I don't need 24MP... I don't need 24MP... I don't need 24MP... I don't need 24MP... I don't need 24MP... " ;)

10. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I suspect if you wait that fast AF will come to Fuji's other bodies. That said, the images of the X100 are incredible. Based on how much I like the X10 I would consider another Fuji if I were in the market for something like that. A little more patience and you'll probably have a NEX 8 and FF NEX to consider as well.

FWIW an X100S would be a great companion to a NEX. Not too much more than the cost of that Zeiss 24 for the NEX

11. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Kevin you're evil ! The only thing that has "saved" me so far is that I can't decided between X100 and XE-1, and wanting the new goodies in the X100s.
    Actually I'm going to run an ad on a local website to see if I can find an X100 to rent. I want to try it out before I do anything stupid (and unecessarily costly)...

Yes Grisu Colt is a boy. We've had him two weeks now, and he's a very cool puppy. I look forward to tackling a bit of everything with him, show ring, working events, etc. When I "retired" from breeding (a totally different breed) in 2006 I had made a vow never to be involved in that stuff again. But as one of my good doggy friends says, you can take a girl out of the showdog world, but you can't take the showdog world out of a girl ;)

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Excelent shots there Claire!!!

I particulary like #2;) Love his expression, his eyes, the way he looks at the camera...

13. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Colt is adorable. He looks very sweet as well, unlike the last Doberman I knew...he was named Diablo for a reason.

Other than the slow AF, I would think the X100 would be identical in the handling department to the X100. I think I would be more interested in the X100S than the XE1 as I'm not sure what I would get that is really all that much better than the NEX (if legacy glass is what you mainly shoot). The Fuji native lenses however are supposed to be very, very good.

I will be interested to see what the X20 is like. Having used the X10 now for a while and been very impressed by it I am curious what the X20 would be like. I don't think I'd be tempted to upgrade as I don't really feel like the X10 is lacking much but I am curious.

14. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Kevin, I guess I'm reaching saturation with MF. NOT that I don't want to use my beautiful legacy lenses anymore (your PEN 38 is still my to-go lens) but I can't shake the feeling I'm using a MF camera of sorts, and not necessarily by choice. Sure the black 18-55 I bought is performing reasonably well in good light but it's not a very good lens overall, and very slow, at that. Absolutely NOT what I need on a daily basis. with the addition of the dog to the household my needs have shifted from 50mm to 35, so I guess my best option would be to try out the new SEL 35/1.8, but comments on the net make me wary of the "ok focus speed". That "OK" was used a lot to describe NEX AF before and it might be fine for a lot of folks, but it's too damn slow for MY needs. OTOH I'm scouting the net for as many Fuji AF test videos as I can find, and what I see is not very remote (if at all) from NEX performance...
    One of my good friends is a Fuji user (always has been) with a X100 and X Pro 1? and he will lend me his X100 to try. The Fuji offer 1:1 ratio in camera, which is a feature I'm missing a lot from the GX-1. If only Amazon.fr wuld have the SEL 35 available yet, I'd buy it without any second thought, and return with no remorse, if not fast enough for me.
    I do believe in names affecting who wears them, so I'd be careful not to call my dog anything too dramatic ;) I almost called this one Hades (had to use the H for 2012 registered names) but knowing that's the master of Hell in Greek mythology, I passed. Marla insisted on calling him Hercule instead, since it's been the last Disney she's watching about 6 times a day, lol. Colt is a call name, since I wanted something short and clear, for training purposes. He's one sweet, social and smart puppy, I'm extremely hopeful for him. Plus he makes an awesome model !

15. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I was getting that lens Claire,pretty excited about it ,then I read a review from a reliable source,I will find it and post it later,the outcome is I am sticking with the sigma 2.8, 30mm for now, and will not be buying this lens.

16. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Interesting. Is the 1.8 aperture not valuable to you ? I did have the Sigma and it really didn't serve any purpose for me. Too wide, too slow, and AF was just almost unusable in the conditions I needed it in (low light). My favorite lens on m4/3 was the PL 25/1.4, and the SEL 35/1.8 will offer similar qualities (not that I expect it to be halfway as awesome as the PL...)

17. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk

the 1.8 is not very valuable to me, but the main reason I would accept it, is for it,s sharpness around f4-5.6-8, and not necessarily for it's speed, here is the review,the guy has done a pretty comprehensive test on it. The main points putting me off are in the first few paragraphs,regarding AF, it focuses great on static objects but not very well on moving objects, if an object is static I'll gladly use manual focus but if it's moving I want to use AF or predict the focus point, but I would prefer AF every time. He tested it on the NEX 7.

have a look at his review,as it is an expensive piece of kit, it's one I want to get right first time, so I think I'll wait until some better offering comes along if ever, and think of something else I really, really need photographywise,I'm sure theres something out there that I cannot live without, I just need to find it.

18. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Hmm, is the guy El Matadur ? This user posted a link to a pretty extensive review (posted at DPR). Like you, the "average" AF performance put me off a little. Willing to try it if I can return though, so anxiously waiting for Amazon to have it in stock...

19. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Okay first off you ARE using a MF camera...what's all this nonsense about the NEX having AF? PFFFFTTTT...it's all lies. I like Fuji Cameras, I always have. I don't see a point where i won't use MF because I enjoy it too much. I have always loved using RF cameras and I can't afford a M8 so I think the NEX or something like the Fuji XE-1 is a great option for someone like me. Because I have the 5n and i know it I don't see any advantage to making a switch at the moment.

No to sound crazy but what about a GX1 and a lens like the PL45? Super fast AF, you like it, great UI and controls, you can find then new for around $300 and they are capable of nice results.

20. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Kevin if I was to get a GX-1 again my to go lens is the fabulous PL25, no other. But no more small sensor for me after I've tasted the NEX... I think I want an XE-1, truly, with the 35/1.4. The shallow DOF is too sweet, if I change format it's too ove up to FF, not the other way around. Other than the chip, the GX-1 is my near perfect camera.