1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

That perfect camera for a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by mesmerized, Sep 18, 2016.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized New to TalkEmount

Mar 26, 2014
    Dear Users,

I'm going to Tibet soon and I'd like to equip myself with something that will deliver a significantly better image quality than my Olympus E-M5mk2 + 12-40mm f/2.8

I was thinking... Perhaps A7ii is the way to go? Is it reasonable to wait for the announcement of A7iii? I suppose that the camera won't be out until mid or late 2017 though?

Matter of fact, the size isn't such a big deal for me. I got rid of all the small m4/3 lenses (aside from the 45mm portrait lens) and kept the PRO 12-40, which is quite big anyway. I could go for a full frame DSLR. I've never owned one though, as my very first camera was Olympus E-PL1. Thus, I've always been part of the mirrorless world.

2. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    How will you view your Pics?
    When and for how long will the trip be?
    On foot, by car or staying in one place?
    Access to electricity?
    How do you find your Olympus is lacking IQ?
    How many and which lenses are you gonna bring?
    For which kind of images?

I find it more important to know and being able to use the gear to its maximum rather than have the absolute best and not having the routine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  4. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    What kind of once-in-a-lifetime trip? And what kind of photographs are you interested in taking on said trip?

I shoot both an A7r and an Olympus E-M1. They both have their strengths. For the landscape stuff, long exposures, astrophotography, no question - the Sony A7r shines. But printed? Base ISO? The E-M1 is more than capable, and the 12-40 Oly is a hell of a piece of glass.

I shoot shorter focal lengths (ultrawide to normal, may add a short telephoto) with the Sony; I shoot telephoto with the Olympus, using the excellent fast telephotos (in my case the 43 50-200 SWD and 150/2.0 with teleconverters) the system provides. If someone else was dragging my gear around for me, I wouldn't mind a top end FF DSLR and superfast telephoto lenses, for the better tracking AF performance, but for me, the Oly is an excellent system that is still very competitive with FF options. And in print, I actually doubt I could tell the difference for the majority of pictures I take.

5. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    I have Olympus OM-D's, Pens, and a7/ii cameras, as well as an RX1R. If I were going to Tibet, which is fairly mountainous country, I'd be gravitating toward the RX1R, not so much for size issues, but weight issues. I like the light weight of the Olympus but not so crazy about the noise, especially in poor light, and somewhat limited resolution. The RX1R with the 35/2 Sonnar is easily the equal of my a7/ii in a smaller and lighter package. Have a wonderful trip!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. mesmerized

mesmerized New to TalkEmount

Mar 26, 2014
    Thanks for the answers. I have a soft spot for E-M5mk2, but I'd be happier with a camera that delivers a better dynamic range. More megapixels that would allow heavier cropping would be another thing. Also, not really related to the upcoming trip, but I've been taking loads of pictures of the elderly in China... and to put it simply... I need shallower depth of field.

P.S. I don't mind at all carrying heavy-ish equipment.

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    You don't say anything about your budget, so I'll assume it's big :). If you want more dynamic range and better cropping abilities, the solution is simple: go for the A7R Mark II, 42 MP and best dynamic range across all mirrorless cameras. Add a 24-70mm zoom, 1:2.8 or 1:4, and a Batis 1.8/85mm and you're good to go. Take your time to get to know your new camera whatever you choose.

8. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Ad's last sentence above is THE key one you should heed. The best equipment in the world will do you no good if you don't know how to use it properly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

All up to you - what do intend to do with those files?
    I used to live in the Himalayas for more than 6 years, been to Tibet three times, carried a Nikon F3 and some glass all over the place and used the 35mm/f2 and 75-150mm/f3.5 most of the time but then that's just me.
    These days I'd be more than fine with what I already own - my Fuji X-Pro1 and the NEX-7 with some glass but then again that's just me. (The X-Pro1 performs MUCH better in low light than the NEX but I prefer the latter as platform for my legacy Zeiss glass and its colors for anything else than caucasian skin (Fuji territory)).
    If for some reason I felt the need to buy a new camera I'd probably pick an A7II over the A7RII since I have no need for 40 something megapixels for the stuff that I shoot but I'd sure miss some of my Fuji glass. I've been less than amused with most Sony lenses I've owned not at last since I can't be bothered to buy x lenses to find one copy that's decently centered (use google) - YMMV.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016