1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'That "Other" APS-C Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens System'

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Feb 24, 2013.

1. VaughnA

VaughnA TalkEmount Regular

Jan 24, 2013
    And where are the Pentax K-01 Shots?

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Good question & I'd say it's debatable because:
    1) There are no specialized lenses for it whereas the "Q" does have specialized lenses (Not to mention the "E" Mount Sony lenses)
    2) It currently appears to have the same level of support that Panasonic gave Four Thirds (i.e. one body and Panasonic was done)

So in the end, I'd call the K-01 a mirrorless body but there is no system for it.

3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    If you examine the Samsung raw files at a pixel level I think that technically they aren't quite as good as the very best APS-C or Micro 4/3 sensors but the images look great as a whole are the colours are excellent.

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I stopped caring about Samsung after I checked DxOmark and found it was even worse than the EOS-M, whose quality isn't as good as the EOS 550D (Rebel T3i) which isn't as good as my 5N because my brother has this camera and my 5N was eating it for dinner.

It's a shame because their secondhand lenses and bodies are really cheap in Asia and I was thinking about getting into this system cheaply just for fun.

5. Luckypenguin

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    The NX11 uses the 14.6 megapixel which dates back to 2008 to the GX20 and Pentax K20D DSLRs. DxOMark has never tested the 20MP sensor used since late 2011.

6. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    I'd forgotten about Samsung & Pentax....

7. Luckypenguin

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Who knows, if things had gone differently Pentax might have had a share in a mirrorless camera system right now.

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes. k-01 was weird concept as you have a mirrorless camera that uses old lenses and is just same size and weight as SLR. I had gone via new mount and adapter supplied with camera and made a new compact kit zoom for shorter registration distance. Lens design is however very difficult, even for big names.

When people have invested in lenses etc. for some brand of camera it is very difficult to sell them new system. I think that Pentax/Nikon/Canon are out of game with mirrorless cameras.

9. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Nikon might not be. They are working on an APC-S sensor mirrorless to be announced later in the year. They are getting ready to announce an APC-S sensor fixed lens camera. They need to do some catching up for sure but at least they have the AF thing figured out. Now they just need to work on the rest.

10. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    Don't know if I'd say it like this because:
    - A significant portion of NEX & Micro Four Thirds owners were prior Canon or Nikon owners. So this shows that people are willing to buy into a new system.
    - Then there are the Sony DSLR and SLT owners who bought into the NEX system.

:)

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yes, but many (most?) of those former (still?) dslr owners bought the NEX because they could use their existing lenses on the NEX. Switching between dslr systems that isn't the case. :)

12. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I really think that legacy lenses users among the NEX population must be only a one digit percentage, at best.
    NEX is first and foremost bought by compact camera "upgraders" (which is not really an upgrade since they keep using them with the kit lens in auto mode, in which case I'd rather use a serious compact like the X10).

13. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, but why change from Nex or m43 to another mirrorless system if you have invested in a couple of lenses and flashes? New systems will always have less
    from choose in the start. You have to have some kind of advantage if you change system.

I think that mirrorless is way to go. You take the body and a zoom lens and the package is very small, you can add more lenses etc. as is needed. That is quite an advantage.
    There is also an advantage going from m43 to Nex, bigger sensor (less noise, same image quality with cheaper lenses [resolution costs] etc) but changing to similar system
    with less options isn't going to be attractive.

So I think Canon, Nikon & Pentax have lost too much time to Nex and are in bad position competition wise. I think that quite many Canon & Nikon & Pentax & Sony DSLR owners have already switched to m43&Nex and it is very hard to convince them to switch again. Those that haven't switched yet won't switch so easily as they don't see mirrorless cameras as attractive as we do.

For two system people it is ok to own a Nex and Canon or Nikon DSLR, changing to Canon or Nikon mirrorless isn't going to offer significant advantages. I think Pentax did try that, same lenses for mirrorless and DSLR but it didn't work as that kind of mirrorless camera is just as bulky as DSLR.

14. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes. But that small number is sucking all the millions of legacy lenses away from us... .

I think that if you don't have several lenses it isn't going to be intelligent choice to invest into a mirrorless. There are some very good compacts too. Less noise is may be the only advantage but size is significant disadvantage.

15. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I don't think there are many compacts which can outperform a NEX when it comes to dynamic range, either. But I agree, if you want to stick with the kit zoom, there are better fixed-lens options out there.

16. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    That's one reason I am building my kit with legacy glass. If I ever jump ship and go with another mirrorless body, a few adapters and I can still use all my lenses and I don't have to start over again or loose a bunch of money selling off my lenses.

17. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    That's the one reason I sometimes don't feel too comfortable putting all my money in E-Mount Zeiss lenses. But I simply love the 24mm so much that I can't go another route now.

18. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    At least a lens like that will hold it's value. My Sigma lenses, I'd loose at least 25% if I tried to sell them now even though I probably haven't taken 100 shots between the two of them.

19. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Besides those manual lenses are going to last, 10 years is quite much for any electronics these days. I am considering Samyang 8 mm and 85 mm too. If I get them I am getting them in pk-mount.