1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thanks forum...I'm a Nex6 Owner

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by FatDadddy, Feb 23, 2013.

1. FatDadddy

FatDadddy TalkEmount Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Dave
    Ok.... For the ammature using this amazing camera how should I first set up for shooting. I took some pictures yesterday with it on the Green auto everything mode...and came out nice. I'm going to Monterey/Carmel for work this Monday and will take a bunch out there. Thanks all for the help. When. Get back ill post for tips on how to improve.

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Welcome Dave, report back with pictures asap :)

3. FatDadddy

Feb 17, 2013
    Dave
    Thanks nianys. Keep in green auto mode or venture out? To what?

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Since the camera is so new to you and works in green auto mode, I suggest that you leave it on that setting until you have time to experiment. You'd hate to lose shots because you're trying to figure out how the camera works in different modes. That's what the backyard is for. ;)

5. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    What lens do you have ?
    If you happen to have a fast lens available, get in A mode and play with aperture to see it impact your depth of field. For a DOF lover like me it's the main concept that photography resolves around. If you get that ingrained in your brain, the rest will flow.

6. jvjc888

jvjc888 TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 18, 2013
    Welcome. I would suggest that you read the the book "Understanding Exposure" by bryan peterson. It very informative and you will learn a lot from it and easy to understand.

7. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    welcome! or set it on P. it is close to auto and see what camera detects depend on the light and situations. Then venture out to aperture priority or shutter priority.

NEX is one heck of a camera!

8. FatDadddy

Feb 17, 2013
    Dave
    @nianys I have the PZ 16-50 that came w it.

9. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    That's perfectly fine for starters, and very versatile :)

10. Merlin_AZ

Merlin_AZ New to TalkEmount

Oct 14, 2012
    I would also recommend keeping in Auto until you get back home and get some experience with it.
    I'd also recommend Bryan Peterson's book, Understanding Exposure--it helped me a bunch.

11. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I'd suggest getting out of Auto ASAP and just start playing around. It's digital. Pics turn out like crap, delete them and move on. The rear screen is a What You See Is What You Get type deal, so set the camera up, start messing with adjustments, and you'll see in real time how each thing you do effects the picture.

If you don't know or understand what different settings are, there's loads of youtube videos and you can ask here. Everyone here is beyond friendly and will be more than happy to help.

The suggestion to get in A mode is good. That's aperture mode. What happens is you control the aperture, the camera controls the shutter speed. S mode is the opposite. You control shutter speed, the camera controls aperture. M mode is manual, you control everything. There's a little more to the modes than that but that's the jest of it.