Testing Vivitar 55mm f2.8 macro FD on a5000

Discussion in 'Nature' started by dannat, Oct 11, 2014.

1. dannat

dannat TalkEmount Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    picked up a sample of this lens to use for macro shots -shots taken werent quite at 1:1, more like 1.15-1.30 its a nice lens -the FD adapter is a bit finicky -sometimes the bayonet to control aperture clicks & gets stuck on max aperture? not sure if its me or the adapter shots were taken mostly at f16 to max DoF
    to give you an idea of size the small purple flowers are smaller than a dime [due to harsh climate many australian native flowers are tiny]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    At f16 there is too much deffraction thus will produce soft images , this lens is most sharp at f5.6 , try not to go below f11 . good shots by the way .
  3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    At 5.6 and magnification 1:1 DOF is really thin so quite many are willing to sacrifice some sharpness with greater DOF. The lens is really good and cheap. I paid 60 GBP for a new unused old stock one.

It may be shocking that I prefer to shoot small flowers at 1:2 magnification and crop images. That way I will get larger DOF. I try to experiment with focus stacking some day, hopefully I will have more time next summer.

I have its longer sibling too, the 90mm macro.
  4. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    Nice shots, I love the amazing sparkle on flower petals when you get really close