Testing the 55-210

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by pixael, Sep 15, 2013.

1. pixael

pixael TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Dublin
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hard to say. The bulldog looks plenty sharp to me, but it appears that you have may done some fairly heavy cropping/processing to these, so I can't tell what's the lens and what's the PP.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    They look ok to me. [shrug] You're going to get CA in this class of lens, it can be dealt with in post. As to sharpness, that's a personal issue and depends in part on what the final output of the pic is. Do you mostly post on the web? Print? Print large? Print REALLY large? The lens may be sharp enough, but maybe not for your intended output.

Questions beget questions… ;)

4. pixael

pixael TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Dublin
    Hi and thanks for replying. No cropping on that picture but yes, a bit of sharpening and pp. It looks pretty sharp on Flickr but not very sharp at bigger resolutions.

More info about me on www.pixael.com or www.flickr.com/photos/giuseppemilo

5. pixael

pixael TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Dublin
  6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I obviously haven't seen your prints, but how large a print are we talking about and what distance are you viewing it at? Many times a print that isn't sharp is simply being viewed at too close a distance. My apologies if that is not the case here.

7. pixael

pixael TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Dublin
    It could be actually. I'll print one of that picture anyway and I'll let you know ;-)
    For some pictures maybe is also a focus thing... I mean the lens is not extremely fast so the focus is not perfect in some cases.

More info about me on www.pixael.com or www.flickr.com/photos/giuseppemilo

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    After my last post I did a little online research and I found this phone app that might be useful for picking viewing distances.

9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Hard to say if the lens is OK from your downsized pictures. If you upload full-size jpegs to Flickr we might be able to see more. I have this lens myself and while it's not top-of-the-bill on my NEX-6 it's mostly OK. Yes, it has CA and purple fringing. Lightroom takes care of CA automatically for me and the purple fringing can be corrected quite effectively as well in LR. I get best results if I stop down to f/8 or f/9, especially at longer focal lengths and that limits this lens' use to good lighting. OIS helps a lot in keeping the ISO down.