1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Testing Canon FD 70-210 in the Backyard

Discussion in 'Nature' started by WestOkid, Feb 28, 2015.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    So I rarely shoot birds and animals these days. Mostly because I feel the e-mount system doesn't really have a lens for that sort of stuff. I know I could go legacy lenses, add tele-extenders, or use LEA adapter with A-mount. I tried them all and I still was pretty annoyed. I just felt like I was using the tip of a hammer as a screw driver. So why this set. Well, while looking at FD lenses at Keh for my A7, I saw this excellent condition Canon FD 70-210 F/4 @ Keh for $40. I bought it, so I wanted to test it. What better place than the back yard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shots were taken with A7 or A6000. Raw was processed in DXO & LightRoom. There is a lot of cropping since this is only 210mm. I feel the lens has average sharpness at 210 which is the only focal length I shot. It also has ridiculous chromatic aberration when used at F4-5. Again, where I shot at. I spent much more time than usual dealing with this in LR.

In the end, I feel it is definitely worth it. I feel with some post work, it can get the job done. Particularly, if someone just needs an occasional tele and doesn't want to invest any real money. You really aren't gonna get much better for $40.

BTW - I just noticed the Titmouse shot was with the a6000 SEL55210. I was trying the AF. :)

• Like Like x 4
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Lovely critters hanging around your home.

It is hard to beat the prices on some of the older lenses:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Man, I really like those two squirrel photos! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Nice work! Cute squirrels captured. I feel your frustration. I've found that my SEL55210's range basically does better due to AF and OSS when trying to capture backyard wildlife, even though I think this lens is soft at 210mm. The range is the same as most vintage zooms that are affordable and desirable. I did no better with a Kiron 70-210 Zoomlock. So, I went pursuing more reach. But manual focus and no image stabilization makes it very tasking to capture the subjects well.
    Factor in that older zooms didn't have APO elements unless they were top tier, images are prone to CA. fringing. Even with APO glass, if the lens is a constant wrestling match to use, it's a PITA.

But I have found what I seeked.... a Tamron SP 60-300mm 23A. It's been called the zoom that thinks it's a prime.
    Sharp, colorful, barely any CA and PF. Macro that works, and handles well with my a6000. Focus and zooming are light and smooth. It's Adaptall2, and there are plenty of A2 to NEX adapters. My Fotasy version works great.

Most of my 300mm lenses will be culled as I have no reason to not pick the Tammy. Do check one out, you may be interested in acquiring one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks, but that Tamron is too slow. I can't see using a manual lens that isn't at least a constant f4. I think I'll just live with this cheapo $40 lens and the 55-210 for AF on the occasions I need a long zoom. I mostly shoot wide angle these days anyway. I just wanted to post for others who may want an inexpensive tele zoom.

Thanks Nick.

• Like Like x 1