1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

TESTING a Canon FD 50-135/3.5 zoom on the NEX-7

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Oct 19, 2013.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Picked up this 'as new' Canon FD 50-135/3.5 zoom for a good price and took it with me the last couple drives out into the country....got a few roadside shots to wring it out, looks like a keeper to me !

VERY LARGE TALL CLUSTER OF WHAT THE OWNER CALLED "OCTOBER FLOWERS"

HIDING ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FLOWERS...AN OLD HORSE DRAWN CULTIVATOR

BEAUTIFUL RED 'FALL BERRIES' ON A PYRACANTHA BUSH

CLOUDY MISTY DULL DAY TODAY, FALL COLORS ARE JUST STARTING TO TURN HERE

• Like Like x 6
  2. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    All very nice pictures. Congratulations on the new lens.

Larry

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    As we know, back in film days, due to the curse of graininess in faster films of the times, we usually did everything we could to get "fast lenses". (the very promising Ektar 1000 was just emerging when I left photography)

But the lens quality of most Canon FD zooms is as good as Canon FD primes in terms of sharpness, color rendition, etc...the main issue simply was / is that their max ap was smaller / 'slower'.

However, today, with the additional benefits of the NEX-7, the max ap being a little slower is no longer an issue. I can just bump up the ISO a step or two (without grain/noise) and have the same end result.

Where I used to mostly shoot ASA/ISO 64/100/200, now my default starting point on the NEX-7 is ISO400...and I can tweak ISO to 800, even 1600 from there if I need more shutter speed without objectionable noise.

So I've been able to add the following 'like new' zooms to the hobby for the cost of a few burgers & fries, and so far they're terrific for my needs on the NEX-7.....hat's off to Sony !
    Canon FD 35-105/3.5
    Canon FD 50-135/3.5
    Canon FD 70-150/4.5