Tested and working wireless lighting on a budget

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by dsiglin, Sep 17, 2013.

1. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Photography for me is a hobby and it can get rather expensive. I want to start making back some of the money I invested by doing portrait work. To that end I decided I needed a lighting kit. After doing some research here's what I ended up with:
    1) First things first I needed a hot shoe adapter. I chose the Rainbowimaging Hot Shoe Adapter because it has a PC sync connector on the side and was only $12.
    2) I knew I wanted wireless off camera flash so I bought this wireless adapter for $25.
    3) Next the actual flash. After reading a lot of reviews I settled on the Yongnuo YN-560 II, it's one step up from the also highly regarded YN-460 II. Either one will work. $59.
    4) To reflect the flash I got 43" umbrella with removable black cover. $18.
    5) To hold the umbrella I got a heavy but not too heavy light stand for around $30. And a head for the stand for about $15.

So that's from nothing flash to complete beginner setup for around $130. I plan on buying a diffuser for the flash and a reflector/scrim to try out as well. Any other suggestions?

I haven't had much time to test the setup but last night I convinced Rachel my wife to stand outside while I did some test shots. The lighting was not very good as the sun had already slipped behind the trees but I was able to pull out one photo I liked reasonably well. This has been post processed to give it that low contrast look I seem to be in love with right now. For this shot the remaining sunlight was filling in the face with the flash behind and me crouching looking up. ISO was 1600 I think, yeah the light was that low. I did use a slow lens, Minolta AF 35-105 (it was around 70) with the LEA2 adapter. Should have used my Canon FD 50mm 1.4.

• Like Like x 5
  2. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    I forgot to include a photo of the flash and camera setup, imagine with this a light stand, umbrella, and light stand head. Wish I had a black 5n to complement the other black sections.

• Like Like x 6
  3. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Hi wishing you a nice start , any more shots to share?
    Did you also have an embedded flash in your nex body or bought the nex flash accessory?

4. oreitan13

oreitan13 New to TalkEmount

Oct 23, 2014
    can i connect the wireless adapter to my a6000 without any Hot Shoe Adapter
    i have a Sony HVL-F43M and i am looking for a wireless adapter thet will work withe it and my a6000
    will this setup work?
    i don't care about TTL