Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Sony batteries.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by JMM, May 6, 2017.

1. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    There is lots of negative feedback about sony batteries, so i thought im gonna share my experience.
    Today was my first, semi-pro photo session. Usually my camera sit on microscope or macroscope, plugged into power, so i was never concerned with battery life. I've read how bad sony batteries are, and why mirrorless cameras are unusable because of battery life. So despite all advices, i took my a6000 and i've bought 3 spare batteries which i've putted in my jacket pockets. Event i was shooting lasted 4 hours, in which time i took 1301 photos. Camera was on all the time except when swapping lenses (which i did 5 times), between shooting i was checking results, camera went pretty hot duing usage, but no movies were taken.
    Despite what i was lead to belive, my original 100% charged sony battery lasted for all those demands, and i've left with 4% charge remaining. Is that good or bad? I Wish i didnt wasted money for spares. Now i got 16 hours of constant shooting reserves, with 8 seconds break every 4 hours...

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Well at least you have spares in case you do what I did recently. I accidentally dropped a genuine Sony battery only to watch it roll down an embankment and into a fast flowing creek. :(

• Sad Sad x 5
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I get about 2 hours of continuous shooting from the events I do (weddings), but I swap them before hitting 10-15% just to be safe. I have 2 genuines and 4 3rd party ones. I'd say all last about the same. Battery life is ok imo. Would I prefer I shoot the whole 10 hour event on a single battery? For sure! But it's not a major drawback for going mirrorless imo - especially if you consider what you gain instead :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I've never had any issues with the batteries on my A7R2 or A6300, I shoot landscapes mainly and often find the same battery lasts all day on either camera, longer on the A6300. It's certainly not an issue to have to carry a couple of spare batteries and that's something I'd do no matter what camera I was using.
    The cameras can be put on charge from any USB socket, my car has USB charging sockets so its easy to just plug the camera in as I drive to the next location to keep the battery topped up if I want.

• Like Like x 2
  5. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    It won't always be like this since no 2 shooting sessions are the same

- You have APS-C body without IBIS which is what these batteries were designed for in the first place. These 2 factors help increase the number of shots you can take with a charge. Full frame bodies are usually the source of the limited power reputation you mention. Try this with A7II and batteries get exhausted after 300-450 pictures depending on shooting sessions. Users of A-Mount with the bigger NP-FM500H battery were used to 500+ shots per charge.
    - AF and longer viewing before taking a picture makes batteries lose their power faster
    - As your batteries will age, they will lose some of this long-lasting capacity
    - You may or may not experience the lower power left without the camera being used ( fully charged battery down to 75% capacity after one week in the body without use)

6. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Mine normally goes down 1-2% if unused for a week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    John, your batteries worked well for you in that situation. I find the batteries work well for me too. I tend to take photos in relatively short sessions of family gatherings or vacation situations. I use a Sony A7ii and my wife uses a Sony A6000. We have four batteries and two chargers. Typically one battery in each camera will last several days for us. During that time I carry the two spares. When either of us reaches empty, the spare is installed and we go on. When we get back to home base, I recharge any empty batteries.

So for me and my wife the Sony battery system is fully adequate to easily and comfortably support our needs. I REALLY like having the same battery model in both of our cameras. I can get by with only packing one charger. And I do not have to remember BOTH "where is hers?" and "where is mine?"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I've noticed my battery drains twice as fast on my A7rii vs Nex-7. I'm sure it has to do with the ibis, better evf and a more advanced processor.

9. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I do not normally take hundreds of shots in one session/gathering, but on the A6000 I seldom had to swap out batteries either. I have two spares, and have to remember to swap them out every now and then just so they go through a cycle periodically. I do notice if I leave my Techart adapter on it drains the battery some when stored.

I have not had my A7ii long enough to know how far I can go with it, but it does seem to have a somewhat shorter life. Probably the IBIS as my camera habits have not really otherwise changed.

All the same, it would be nice to have that new A9 battery. :)

10. Nino Xerri

Nino Xerri TalkEmount Veteran

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    Battery life has not been a problem for me. I shoot with the a7ii and carry two spares. Only on a few times did I have to go to a second.
    Like Paul I shoot landscapes mostly so the camera is turned of when travelling from place to place by car.

11. sven karma

sven karma TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    The A5100 is the first Sony camera I've used, but the battery life (and the accuracy of the charge indicator) seems better than Panasonic (GF3 + GX7) or Fuji (X-E2 has a useless, lying indicator).

12. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    You got a lot of life in your shooting situation! I rarely get 400 shots RAW+JPEG per battery while shooting adapted manual focus lenses with my a6000. I shoot with the EVF so that uses a little bit more power. Airplane Mode enabled, 1 minute power off. I keep at least 2 spares in my pocket. The mostly used batteries are aftermarket ones, and they initially have the same shot capacity as the genuine Sony battery. But after several years of continuous use, the aftermarket batteries' capacity has been reduced some but still charge to 100%. These are Vivitar and Neewer.

13. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    Thanks you all for interesting input. I used original, 3yo Sony battery. Yesterday i did 2nd session with similar results (less shots, but also less battery drain). If it makes any difference, I was shooting RAW+JPEG, manual mode with auto ISO, screen and EVF 50/50% , I used A-mount lenses via LA-EA4.
    Im planning to upgrade to a6500/A7II in the near future, just for IBIS. I wonder how it gonna affect battery life.