• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Temporary GAS relief...

Tipton

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Rae Leggett
I've had my A7R2 for two years now. When I bought it, it was a store display that had sat out (under glass) in the sun for a about a year, and it had about a 200 shutter count. Got it for a great price at the time. Since I shoot mostly outdoors, it's gotten it's share of dings and dust and general abuse. So last week I sat down and gave it a thorough cleaning. Wet sensor cleaning, wiped the body shell with a moist cloth, evf, display, opened all the fiddly covers and wiped them out with a q tip, blew out the battery compartment, replaced the battery cover and eyecup. It looks pretty much new now, except for one minor scratch on the front of the body.

I did this with the intent of putting it on ebay to help finance an A7Riv body. But now I don't feel the need. It's still a damn good camera, and I really haven't used it to it's full potential.

Try cleaning your gear if you feel the need to buy new stuff.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
So far, neither the A7RIII nor the A7RIV have tempted me to replace my A7RII. I’d lose access to the built-in apps, for one thing. And I’d have to buy all new batteries. And the dynamic range of the newer R models isn’t noticeably better (to my eye) than what I have now. The better AF performance would certainly be nice to have, but since most of what I shoot are landscapes, I can’t say that it’s enough to make open my wallet. But I bet a good cleaning wouldn’t do any harm. Yeah. I’ll get right on that. :flypig:

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I've always found that a good way to see how really dirty your gear is, is to take a good lens and photograph the gear with it. I know my camera can see things my eyes can't. Even after cleaning, or what I thought was a good cleaning, my cameras still have dust/dirt on them that my Micro-Nikkor can make look like it was just dragged thru the dirt.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
It is always tough to separate one's wants from needs. If I updated from my humble A7ii, particularly if I went with an R model, I would see some benefit from the sensor upgrade. There would be a slight DR improvement. As a mostly-manual shooter, AF does not affect me much, but some of the menu/button/customization improvements would be nice, and the new battery. I'll probably upgrade sometime, because as my wife reminds me, I am kind of a gadget guy, even if I don't want to admit it. It is helpful that the upper echelon is simply out of my budget for a hobby. With the steady stream of new bodies what I have is not worth as much as I would like, so selling the A7ii would help but still be quite a bit short for even say a used A7iii. Thought about picking up a used A7Rii as they are almost down to around $1k if you watch for them. It will be a good time to pick up something used as the A7Riv buyers sell of their 'old' gear.

Another GAS-abatement strategy that I have found helpful is upgrading my lenses. It has made a lot of difference, in my eyes anyway, and I find the pleasure of using them and the improved results have inspired me to trudge on and keep trying. And the glass will easily survive a body swap.

Not sure what if anything I am going to do yet.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'm going to try using more of my lenses rather than get another Sony mount one. I may miss some shots as I'm not fast focusing at all but at least I'll try to use what I've got.

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
The title says "Temporary Gas Relief"....:hiding:
I'm in the middle of recovering from GAS, but I don't know for how long :D.

MWhite

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Temporary photographic GAS relief may reflect a general principle, e.g.,

When I clean up our cars for sale I have a similar experience to Tipton. (We don't trade very often, so this isn't frequent - 17 years on the last one.) They don't seem old or in need of sale after I have cleaned them. I find that I ask myself, "Why are we doing this? It is still good. We don't need another, newer car."

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Temporary photographic GAS relief may reflect a general principle, e.g.,

When I clean up our cars for sale I have a similar experience to Tipton. (We don't trade very often, so this isn't frequent - 17 years on the last one.) They don't seem old or in need of sale after I have cleaned them. I find that I ask myself, "Why are we doing this? It is still good. We don't need another, newer car."
I will admit to being one who likes having a clean car. I'm probably one of the few who washes their own car on the lawn so it doesn't waste the water. I've convinced my wife that a clean car gets better mileage too since it offers less wind resistance, you know, from the dirt on the paint.
I don't know why I don't clean my cameras more often. I try to keep them clean as a matter of course, but, bring out the macro lens and they're dirty as heck. :redface:

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
I purchased a used NEX-6 on eBay with all intentions of getting it converted to full time infrared but, the camera I received was so roughly handled in the past that I could not see spending the money to convert it.
After I returned the camera, I started searching for an NEX-7 or A6000 camera to convert and finally decided, The heck with it.
I will put the purchase money along with the conversion price into buying a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens. So much for GAS relief:eek:

Latest threads

Top Bottom