1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Telephoto/Travel options

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by InsanelyMarc, Jul 30, 2016.

1. InsanelyMarc

InsanelyMarc New to TalkEmount

Jul 21, 2016
    Marc Wynter
    I recently switched from m4/3 to E-mount (EM5i to A7ii). I had and was happy with the following line up:

PL 20mm f/1.7 (my fav for IQ and simplicity)
    14-150mm f/4-5.6 (excellent for travel)

With the A7ii so far I have:
    SEL28F20
    SEL2870 kit lens

So far I'm happy with the system for what I shoot on a normal basis despite not having the longer FL I had with the 14-150mm. However, I do like to occasionally shoot motorsports and things that I need a longer lens for. The 14-150mm worked ok for those occasions. This is purely for hobby/personal use so while IQ is desirable, I can accept some compromise for convenience. I'll be going to the Malaysia GP as part of my honeymoon in September and I want something to be able to get some good shots from the stands, etc. I was considering these options:

SEL55210 - Cheapest option, might be satisfactory for the trip considering size/weight since I might not be using this FL much after the GP. I know it'd be ~10mp on the A7ii in crop mode but that might be ok considering the extra reach and likely won't be printing anything large from these shots. I think this is cheap enough, especially in used condition, to buy, evaluate and then sell if I didn't find it worth it.

SEL70200G - I used to have a canon t2i+70-200mm f/4l... dunno how this compares but i LOVED that lens. A little more than I want to spend for a lens that probably won't get a large amount of use but I would assume this would be the best option as far as IQ.

SEL24240 - closest thing available to the 14-150mm I had as far as FL. A single lens that can cover the wide and far ends without swapping lenses would be good for a travel/vacation lens which is something I also liked about the 14-150mm. Sometimes I would rather just have to worry about the camera and whatever is on it rather than which lenses to carry and keeping them safe, etc.

SEL70300G - only a bit cheaper than the SEL70200 but a lot more reach, but also slower.

So far I'm not leaning in any specific direction except maybe the SEL55210 because of the low price point and used market. Trying to get some personal feedback since the sony lens choices are all relatively new to me.

Thanks
    Marc

2. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I like your reasoning - it sounds solid to me. I have an A7ii and a 70-200 f/4. My wife has a A6000 with a 55-210. On our recent trip to Alaska, her whale tail photos were every bit as good as mine (though mine were not great....I did not make good choices :( ). I think the 55-210 lens is a great inexpensive way to go for an outdoor telephoto lens.

In general I think my 70-200 provides excellent IQ. But it is pricey. (I had to sell some Leica gear to buy it.)

3. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I've just got the 55-210 and its not a bad lens, the edges on my lens get soft but the centre is very good, it's a very good value for money lens no mistake and certainly worth getting a used one, they sell for £119 used from mainstream dealers in the UK so a bargain.
    I also have a Canon 70-200 f4 L lens which I use via a Fotodiox adaptor, they can bought very reasonably used and work fine on the A7 series, the FE 70-200 sells for about £800 for a good used one, the Canon 70-200 sells for about £280 used + around £70 for an adaptor so they are much better value for money.
    I'd love a 70-300, personally if I was looking to get a Sony telephoto lens I'd pick that over the FE 70-200, the 70-200 is constant f4 and I think has better IQ if you really look close but the extra reach of the 70-300 + slightly smaller physical length would make it my choice. I don't think the extra 1 stop advantage the 70-200 has really matters with the A7 series cameras as they have excellent high ISO performance and having to increase the ISO by 1 stop to compensate isn't a problem in my view.

4. InsanelyMarc

Jul 21, 2016
    Marc Wynter
    How is AF performance on the canon 70-200 with the adapter on the A7 body?

5. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

If you don't mind buying used, the 70-200mm f/4 goes for around $800 on ebay.

6. InsanelyMarc

Jul 21, 2016
    Marc Wynter
    The Sony?

7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Regarding the 55-210mm on FF, I forgot where I read about removing the rear baffle to eliminate the vignetting. It's attached with a few small screws.

8. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Yep.

9. InsanelyMarc

Jul 21, 2016
    Marc Wynter
    Ah I saw that too but didn't know it completely removed the vignetting. if that's the case it'll probably be fine for what I need it for.

Cool i'll take a look. Thanks

10. InsanelyMarc

Jul 21, 2016
    Marc Wynter
    Just an update for those who were interested... I ended up getting a SEL24240 after all. I didn't divulge why I was looking for a telephoto before but it's because I'll be going to the Malaysia F1 Grand Prix and wanted some range to get some photos from the stands. I decided to go this route because a friend of mine made the suggestion that lugging around and swapping between lenses at the event might not be the most convenient scenario. The race is actually the first part of my honeymoon so I may end up using it for other parts of the trip as well. I'll likely still bring my primes, SEL28F20 and Canon FD 50mm f/1.4, for low light and walking around the city since they are both WAY lighter than the SEL24240.

• Wow Wow x 1