Telephoto Test with Studio Lighting

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MAubrey, Jun 19, 2016.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Before I put my Nikon 200mm f/2 up for sale, I decided I'd take the time to do some serious comparison with my new Olympus 180mm f/2.

The first test, here, is with two monolights. The background is the large picture window to still get a nice blurred background. I shot both wide open:

Nikon:
    27676176152_71843e917f_h.
    Self-Portrait Test #1
    by Mike Aubrey, on Flickr

Olympus:
    27742837096_6d2f14ccd4_h.
    Self-Portrait Test #2
    by Mike Aubrey, on Flickr

The Nikon is simply an amazing lens. Studio lighting takes it's lower contrast out of the equation and makes it clear that they're effectively equal in terms of resolution/sharpness.

100% Crops from the A7rII:
    Lens Comparison.JPG

Focus is ever so slightly different. The Olympus is right on the iris and the Nikon is ever so slightly in front.

I'd say it's ever so slightly cooler than the Olympus, too. Even though I have what is a beautiful replacement in the Olympus, I'm seriously going to miss the Nikon. A legendary lens, even replaced with another legendary lens, is still worth missing.

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    A coin toss between them, both look excellent.
    But I'm partial to the Zuiko rendering.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Me, too. If you note on the OoF highlight on zipper, the Nikon has an extra bit of spherochromatism, but has a slightly better round shape, while the Olympus' OoF highlight is well corrected for spherochromatisn, but has more defined cats-eye shape.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Interesting! I didn't notice until you pointed it out.

5. Roscoe

Roscoe TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Like the Zuiko color. Looks like you used an umbrella light (you can see it reflected in the iris I think)? Peeping's downside would never show in the old print days. Is this is an Olympus from the OM Zuiko days... but the higher end F2 line? If so, maybe I should try some of the old ones in my drawer on the Sony that I'd bought for the Fuji... one day. Nice shots btw, and you're tempting me to vary from my Zeiss mono-lensy.