1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

teenage mutant ninja tomatoes

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Bimjo, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I seldom eat tomato because it causes open sores in my mouth. But today I decided I wanted some on my sandwich at lunch.

When I saw this I changed my mind. ;)

I've never seen a tomato do this. Usually they just get mushy and moldy and sort of collapse into themselves when left too long, but this… this is just weird!

5N/kit zoom

mut_tom120825_01.

mut_tom120825_02.

mut_tom120825_03.

mut_tom120825_04.

mut_tom120825_05.

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Haha, that's the vege equivalent of an Alien chest-burst spawn!! LOL!

Nicely done macros btw... :)

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I thought of that. LOL

Going to see how many sprout. Assuming the wife doesn't toss them out first. Maybe I better hide them, eh? Anything for a picture, right? ;)

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    That's pretty cool, seeds can be amazingly hardy. When I was working in Africa some years back I had a tomato vine and papaya tree growing right on the ledge beside my backdoor, evidently on account of the previous occupant's refuse. The biggest shock was one day when a giant papaya started to grow on the 3-foot tree (it didn't taste too good when I finally decided to cut it, apparently the first round of fruits aren't so good according to my local friends). Wish I had the pics to prove it!

So I say go for it, grow it out on a stick and see how far it goes!

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah, I'll probably take it outside and see what it does. I'm interested to see how many shoots actually sprout from these. If they live up to the potential I'm going to have a tomato forest on my hands. :)

6. Luiz Curcino

Luiz Curcino TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    Uberlandia-MG Brasil
    what a strange thing... the seed being born within the tomato... ha ha... good macro!

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  8. oylo

oylo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2012
    Norway
    Great macro shots. I really like you've got a total black background.

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Apparently it's fairly common in horticulture, much less so in fruits. Or so I got told on another forum. ;)

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah it was. Sadly they developed no further and just slowly wilted into standard decay mode.

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thank you. The background is black because I shot these sitting on a piece of foamboard and then adjusted the black level with an adjustment layer in CS5. :)