TechArt TA-GE1B for Contax G - good on A6000?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by bdbits, Mar 26, 2016.

1. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I am buying a Contax G 45mm lens and the seller has offered me his TechArt TA-GE1B adapter for $100. Has anyone used it on an A6000? Worth it?

I know of, but very little about, the TechArt adapters, and most of what I found related to use on A7 series bodies. From what I have been able to gather, this is v2 of the adapter. I think that means non-upgradeable firmware, and contrast detection AF, correct? I gather you can override the AF and use it with manual focus. Hopefully it would work as well as any other manual adapter that way, so if I find the AF unreliable it would still be a decent MF adapter.

I currently have a G90 on a Kiwi manual adapter and have not had much difficulty. AF would be a nice extra if it works well, but I am stretching my limited gear budget a bit to get the 45mm so I do not want to throw $100 into this if it does not work all that well.

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I used the first gen with the nex-6. AF is contrast based and slower then the ver 3. It was slow for anything moving and the firmware is fixed. The adapter motor helps to mf also, better then the mf adapters. My problem came with the A7R as the adapter became too loose and short-circuited the camera. Ver 3 is faster then the versions 1&2 which are same and got faster with pdaf on the new cameras A7 M2/A7R M2/A6300. So it might be better to invest in the ver 3 for the long term upgrade path.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    That is pretty much what I thought. Thanks for your input.