Taughannock Falls Trip

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by WestOkid, Oct 9, 2016.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I got up at 3:30am and took a long 3.5 hour drive yesterday to Upstate NY to catch some autumn foliage and shoot Taughannock Falls. I sort of got a tiny bit of both, but neither at full strength. I was about a week too early for the foliage and the falls has been reduced to a trickle as a result of severe drought. Or as my Flickr friend Rich says, "It blows that someone turned the tap off". Even so, the place is still pretty special and I wasn't disappointed. I think. :hmmm:

FYI - In its splendor, Taughannock falls is a 215-foot waterfall that has the highest single-drop waterfall in the US east of the Rocky Mountains.

Anyway, I will certainly go back under better conditions, but until then...

29932769700_da3b875023_h. Into Paradise by Gary, on Flickr

20161008-DSC03413_1.
    Into the Gorge

29574583503_d43ec2efdd_h. Taughannock Falls by Gary, on Flickr

30034297150_6907d753a6_h. Standing on Nature's Cobblestone by Gary, on Flickr

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Wow Wow x 2
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Gary if you were slightly "disappointed" with these, then I don't know what to say :eek-30:
    These are some killer photos man!!!
    :bowdown:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Despite your "Issues" you got some great images

• Like Like x 1
  4. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks Dave, Nick. I wouldn't say I had issues. I wasn't complaining. I was just pointing out the conditions were less than ideal due to timing and the drought. Even so, there is no denying the place is amazing under any circumstance. I know with anything involving nature, you take what nature gives you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Really like that 3rd one...would like to know exactly how the shape of that took place eons go.
    Also, my initial reaction was it was symmetrical and had garage door openings in the side faces.
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Some background on how it was formed from Wikipedia, "The waterfall and gorge comprise an example of a hanging valley, formed where Taughannock Creek's stream-carved valley meets the deeper glacially carved valley that contains Cayuga Lake. The gorge has continued to retreat westward from Cayuga Lake as easily eroded shale near the fall's base is worn away by the stream, which rests upon erosion-resistant siltstone and sandstone found in the upper portions of the gorge. Annualfreeze and thaw cycles also act upon small faults in the rock, causing large sections to occasionally break away, further expanding the gorge"

The interesting thing is that you can literally hear it continually forming while your there. Rocks are always falling. While I was in the gorge, I wanted a close up wide angle shot, but there is a rail and signs warning to stay behind it. I quickly decided that sign wasn't meant for photographers and was about to jump the fence. Suddenly, I heard a loud sound like a shotgun blast. Next I saw a large piece of rock crash on the gorge surface near the pool. Needless to say, I got the point and retreated to where I belonged.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    When I went there earlier this year, my daughter didn't heed the warning signs and went down for that shot. Fortunately, there were no rock slides that day and she got in and out safely.

At least you had some recent rain. For us the river bed was completely dry.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    What a majestic location! A fantastic set of shots. Definitely worth a 2nd trip.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Woof! Best lemonade ever! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    We all strive for the "woof". It's like the academy awards of talk e-mount. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 7
  11. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    #3 stands out for me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary