1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tapatalk

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    The new software has good functionality, and Tapatalk introduces work, security issues, SEO issues. Do we need Tapatalk support?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Absolutely categorically YES we need tapatalk. I frequent 6 or 7 forums, those with tapatalk multiple times per day, the 1 or 2 without, only once or twice a week.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    @riskinstrument@riskinstrument @José De Bardi@José De Bardi

I copied these posts here to continue the discussion about Tapatalk. I'm still not sure we should keep it.

Tapatalk has had several security issues in the past and could compromise our site security. Their registration method provides an easy entry point for spammers. Their support is basically terrible. Their software often gives me server errors, and Google sends me warnings that Tapatalk is doing things that could compromise our search rankings for mobile.

I get that some members use Tapatalk. I used to use it also. But now that our site software provides a good alternative for mobile, I think Tapatalk support is probably not a good idea.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  4. riskinstrument

riskinstrument TalkEmount Regular

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    If it goes, could we possibly have a homepage / desktop shortcut?

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
  6. riskinstrument

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    Not sure I like the layout, but probably just not used to it yet. Tapatalk goes I'll live.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. teddoman

teddoman TalkEmount Regular

Nov 18, 2014
    nyc
    Is the alternative to Tapatalk good? Main reason I interact w site is Tapatalk tabs fit my needs: recent unread posts, my posts. Very efficient to know what is new or to find threads

8. riskinstrument

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    I think the homepage may work better for me.

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    The website is responsive, which means that if you bookmark it and add that bookmark to your mobile home page, it acts like an app with all the same features you get on a desktop - quick access to recent posts, new (unread) posts, your posts, etc. Plus unlike Tapatalk, you start on our homepage with the featured threads.

10. teddoman

Nov 18, 2014
    nyc
    I will see if I can bookmark my posts link and recent posts link.

11. riskinstrument

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    Now using this exclusively.
    Bye bye little tapatalk.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
  13. teddoman

Nov 18, 2014
    nyc
    Biggest thing I'll probably miss is push notifications to my cell. It's what keeps active threads extra active. Kind of like the flag that pops up for "unread" threads at dpr. I guess I like this form of push, since I opt into it and it doesn't involve cluttering up my email

14. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Sorry to be a pooper, but if Tapatalk goes I'll spend a LOT less time here.
    It is one of 5 forums I use on Tapatalk and I'm not interested in cluttering up my home screen with more icons, not to mention the massive loss of notifications etc.

If 9/10 forums use Tapatalk I'm not sure why it is causing so many issues here?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    @José De Bardi@José De Bardi - Where did you get the information that 9/10 of forums use Tapatalk?

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    We can add push notifications to the site without Tapatalk.

• Like Like x 1
  17. riskinstrument

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    Would like that.

18. teddoman

Nov 18, 2014
    nyc
    You already have push notifications on the regular site right now (the alerts flag), which is great. Not sure how a mobile version of that would work (wouldn't you have to open the mobile site to even see a notification like that?). I don't keep multiple tabs open in my cell the way I do on my desktop. Tapatalk push works b/c it comes right into my main cell phone's notifications/alerts and notifies me even when the phone is asleep.

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Viewing this site on mobile is just like viewing it on desktop. The alerts flag works the same. But I can install an addon to the forum which would work in conjunction with an app to bring Tapatalk-like notifications to your phone's notifications.

20. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Well on the basis I use lot of forums and rarely do I find one that doesn't have Tapatalk support.

If push notifications can be done with the web version that would help (though I've NEVER seen a site do that on my iPhone before so am dubious).