1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tapatalk and Talkemount app on hold

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I just found out Tapatalk is copying and republishing our site content :(

link: Google

Until I get to the bottom of this, I have to shut down our app (built on Tapatalk) as well as Tapatalk support in general.

Sorry to anyone inconvenienced by this. As an alternative, please consider adding our homepage shortcut to your phone screen.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    i'm not sure I understand. Isn't all the content being showed via that (very specific) search the exact same content available to anyone (user or not) that finds this site? and don't all links point back to this site? what exactly are the negatives?

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Here is some information: Duplicate content - Search Console Help

Basically if someone searches for something and Google gives them both our site page and the Tapatalk version as search results, this is a "poor user experience" for the person using Google (the Tapatalk version adds nothing to their search), and potentially Google punishes our site for trying to game the system (manipulate search rankings).

And it's not just that very specific search. Those pages copied by Tapatalk are available on any Google search where they are relevant. I did some testing, and in some cases the Tapatalk version of our content actually even outranks us on a Google search! Which means that as far as they are concerned, our site might as well be the one "scraping" content from Tapatalk.

Basically the same downsides as if the NY Post were to copy and republish entire articles from the NY Times and just link back to them.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    More information here: *Duplicate Content - SEO Best Practices - Moz

Supposedly Tapatalk announced this: Tapatalk Blog – Latest News and Feature Spotlight – Tapatalk Monetization Update

But their announcement is full of misinfomation:

"Tapatalk.com is similar to Google News – it is not a forum reader and it only shows a preview of posts."

BS - in many cases it shows the entire posts or even the entire threads! One of countless examples: How to tame a Dragon. - Tapatalk

"The listing will always be below the result direct from your site."

More BS - I found several instances where it outranked the results from our site. Tapatalk has no control over how Google ranks results, nor can they speak with any authority over what Google will consider duplicate content.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  5. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I did not use the mobile app, but this is unfortunate. I cannot stand this kind of thing, whether it is photography or other things. I always want content from the source, not an aggregator.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Bummer, let us know when things are back.

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Don't care really, I can get by well enough with the mobile website.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I added links to Recent Posts and Unread Posts on our mobile site. Let me know if everything looks / works okay!

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looks good. :)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman