Tamron SP 52b Adaptall-2 Macro 90mm F2.5-32 Lens Review on A7ii

sliver-surfer

TalkEmount Regular
I do a full review of vintage film era Tamron SP 52b Adaptall-2 90mm F2.5-f32 Macro Lens with samples of both video and images taken with my Sony A7II full frame camera

Attachments

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Nice job.

This was my first macro lens, and I still have my copy. As you showed in your pics, it can really do an excellent job.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Regular
I never used this macro lens for macros... But I bought it used and for my a6000 and took some nice concert portrait pictures with it.

Updating to the a6500 with IBIS made the lens a lot easier to use. Even focus magnify became easy. It is, otherwise, quite difficult to focus for my purpose (subject around 15 feet away) with very small focus-ring movements making all the difference.

Eventually, I succumbed to the temptation of autofocus and the lighter-weight FE85/1.8. I get a lot more successes --- but there was nothing at all wrong with those from the Tamron: it took lovely photos. And, of course, at low cost, it took photos that I could not have got at all, for the couple of years until I could afford the Sony lens.

As a recent returnee to "real-camera" photography, it was also good discipline for me to handle the manual lens. I'd now like to get the 2* teleconverter for it, and embark on another level of hand-held-manual-lens difficulty. It is not expensive, but not so easy to find in my country

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Something else you could look into that might not be as difficult to find is a "close-up filter". They are basically a diopter, and will magnify the image. How much depends on the one you buy.

If you go this route, do buy a good quality one. The cheap ones will severely degrade image quality.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I never used this macro lens for macros... But I bought it used and for my a6000 and took some nice concert portrait pictures with it.

Updating to the a6500 with IBIS made the lens a lot easier to use. Even focus magnify became easy. It is, otherwise, quite difficult to focus for my purpose (subject around 15 feet away) with very small focus-ring movements making all the difference.

Eventually, I succumbed to the temptation of autofocus and the lighter-weight FE85/1.8. I get a lot more successes --- but there was nothing at all wrong with those from the Tamron: it took lovely photos. And, of course, at low cost, it took photos that I could not have got at all, for the couple of years until I could afford the Sony lens.

As a recent returnee to "real-camera" photography, it was also good discipline for me to handle the manual lens. I'd now like to get the 2* teleconverter for it, and embark on another level of hand-held-manual-lens difficulty. It is not expensive, but not so easy to find in my country
I have the later version, the 52BB, it's one of the sharpest manual primes I own. A keeper. I also use it for normal shooting besides macros.
The Tamron SP 01F 2x teleconverter that matches it, is still readily available in the USA via ebay. I picked up a couple for under $20. (one for the 90mm f/2.5 and 70-200mm f/4, to attain 1:1, and for my 55BB 500mm f/8 reflex, which turned out to be the incorrect 2x teleconverter.)
You should try to search listings in the USA.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Regular
... You should try to search listings in the USA.
I live in India. Another company bought up ebay's Indian territory, and ditched it, so I cannot buy from ebay.com for delivery here. I've seen them on ebay's UK site too: unfortunately, I forgot about this on a recent quick visit.

Here's an example of one of my classical-music pics taken with the lens (90mm 52B)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

sliver-surfer

TalkEmount Regular
I kinda pooched this one a little..It was taken years ago on a Pentax K5 with 52B before I could replace and adjust the focus screen. You can see his nose tip is the focal point when i was focusing on his eyes. He asked me for some money and I told him he would make a great portrait and I would pay him if he would let me take a picture of him.
13906757228_2aa5a9e9b7_k.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom