• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Tamron SP 35-80mm F/2.8-3.8 Model 01A

Black Elk

TalkEmount Regular
Does anyone here have shooting experience with this lens? I picked up a nice version and am learning the ropes. It gets very high ratings. Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Does anyone here have shooting experience with this lens? I picked up a nice version and am learning the ropes. It gets very high ratings. Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.
It's an excellent manual focus standard zoom. Considered best of breed. Nicknamed the zoom that thinks it's a prime. If you acquired a nice copy of one, consider yourself lucky! I have one and love it. And I'm mostly a prime shooter. But it has proven so capable and sharp, it spends the most time on my A7II. A lot of my recent posts are captured with this lens.
It's very sharp and contrasty especially at 35mm end. There is little in way of distortion or vignetting. It has been excellent for creating stitched compositions for me. It handles flaring as well as expected for a lens of its age. Better than most standard zooms.
I've found it very easy to focus due to its long focus throw. If you've not shot extensively with manual lenses, simply enable focus peaking, zebra, and focus-magnification assist. I've assigned C1 to be for Mag-assist. You will have to manually select the focal length for precise IBIS should your camera have it.

Top Bottom