Tamron new Sony zoom lens rumored

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
It is exciting to learn about the new Tamron 70-180mm zoom rumored to be online for introduction to Tamron's lineup of Sony e-Mount lenses.

I am wondering about the expected size and weight of this lens (and of course, the PRICE:dance:). I am guessing that the somewhat unusual focal range (maxing out at 180mm rather than the normal 200mm) might allow this f/2.8 lens to be smaller and lighter in weight than the 70-200mm focal range version from Sony:dance4:.

If so, and if the AF and IQ is right up there with the 17-28mm f/2.8 and 28-75mm f/2.8 lenses; Tamron will have hit one out of the park and initiated a Holy Trinity of e-mount lenses...

Add a 300mm or 400mm f/4 prime and a photographer will have virtually everything needed (except UW) in the Tamron lens line...

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Tamron is certainly knocking it out of the park these days. As is Samyang/Rokinon, Sigma, Voigtlander... it's amazing how the 3rd-party market for Sony lenses is exploding. Which is great for all of us! :biggrin:

Tamron has as far as I know only released this, so keep in mind anything you are seeing is likely speculation based on this. Details are expected at PhotoPlus in October.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
I am curious. No idea though. Odd that they all appear to be the same size.

I acquired the 28-75mm lens a while back. So far it appears to be just fine for my uses. And everything I read about the other recent Tamron's (like the 17-28mm) are very positive.

Mookalafalas

TalkEmount Regular
It was unofficial, of course, but I read a post that claimed the new Tamron zoom is supposed to be VERY small--as in not much bigger than the 28-75. Would be very unusual if it turns out to be true. Perhaps the body telescopes like the Canon 24-105? Anyway, got my fingers crossed.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
I would really like a "good" telephoto that is smaller than the 70-200mm f/4 G OSS lens yet have better IQ than the 55-210mm and an aperture of at least f/5.6 (f/6.3 is just too small for me). Full-frame would be nice but, I could live with APSC...
A really nice compromise might be an APSC 50-150mm f/4 with some type of image stabilization (or even f/4-5.6) if it were light and small enough and, of course, I would want VG to EX IQ...
I really have to test out my 55-210mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS lens and either shoot with it or get rid of it. Leaving it home all the time is a waste...
VERY HUMOROUS... One YouTube comparison between the 70-200mm f4 G OSS and the 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 lenses stated: The extra weight of the 70-200mm f/4 G OSS lens is compensated for by making your wallet lighter:laugh1:

Last edited:

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
The new Tamron is supposed to be announced in October. Question is, when will it be available for purchase? I was just about to buy Sony's 70-200 f4... Now I'm hesitant.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
The new Tamron is supposed to be announced in October. Question is, when will it be available for purchase? I was just about to buy Sony's 70-200 f4... Now I'm hesitant.
Both the Sony 16-35mm f4 and 70-200mm f4 lenses are very good. In fact I wasn't tempted much to switch to the 17-28mm 2.8 due to the loss at the wide and long end. If you need a telephoto lens, the Sony 70-200mm f4 is sharp and quick to focus. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
I have the Sony 70-200mm f/4 G Lens and it is a very good piece of gear. I would like, however to have a lighter weight telephoto, more in line with my APSC cameras but, with better IQ and a constant aperture over the Sony 55-210mm lens...

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Edwin
I believe one of those primes is 35mm. If it is, I'm sold already!

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
Both the Sony 16-35mm f4 and 70-200mm f4 lenses are very good. In fact I wasn't tempted much to switch to the 17-28mm 2.8 due to the loss at the wide and long end. If you need a telephoto lens, the Sony 70-200mm f4 is sharp and quick to focus. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
You're absolutely right but there is a small "but" there. I do have the Sony 16-35 f/4 and I find it to be quite heavy. As for the telezooms, it might turn out that the announced Tamron will be within the same price range as the Sony 70-200 f/4. Perhaps I'm being too optimistic, though.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
You're absolutely right but there is a small "but" there. I do have the Sony 16-35 f/4 and I find it to be quite heavy. As for the telezooms, it might turn out that the announced Tamron will be within the same price range as the Sony 70-200 f/4. Perhaps I'm being too optimistic, though.
The other "but," is that you can pick up the 70-200mm f4 FE used around $800-1000 USD. My guess is the Tamron telephoto lens will come in near or slightly above that price range. It basically boils down if focal range or faster aperture (with less range) is most important to you.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
I have the 70-350mm Sony on pre-order. I have already found one occasion in which I needed (wanted is probably more correct) a lens longer than 200mm for my APSC cameras*. However, I do not want to carry a lens as heavy as the Sony 100-400mm or 200-600mm. I can do with 350mm at a much lighter weight...
* "Big Boy" America;s largest steam locomotive is ending its cross country tour on Sunday October 6th and will be traveling through the Cajon pass between Victorville and Los Angeles, California. That should be quite photogenic and could just ache for the compression of a very long lens...

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I have the 70-350mm Sony on pre-order. I have already found one occasion in which I needed (wanted is probably more correct) a lens longer than 200mm for my APSC cameras*. However, I do not want to carry a lens as heavy as the Sony 100-400mm or 200-600mm. I can do with 350mm at a much lighter weight...
* "Big Boy" America;s largest steam locomotive is ending its cross country tour on Sunday October 6th and will be traveling through the Cajon pass between Victorville and Los Angeles, California. That should be quite photogenic and could just ache for the compression of a very long lens...
Looking forward to those shots!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom