1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 90mm F/2.5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by NkedFatWhiteGuy, Jun 11, 2014.

1. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I am so excited! It came today! I have wanted this lens for so long that I can hardly remember... First for my Fujica AX5, then for my Minolta XD11, and most recently for my NEX 6. After searching for the "right one" on ebay, I lucked on to a "NEW" copy for sell... New??? After almost 20 years, was there was still one available NEW? Yup, there was! It is the later, 52BB version, but it looks like it has never been mounted before and everything is pristine! In fact it still has the plastic film protecting the lettering on the lens cap.

So far I have just mounted it up and taken a couple of quick test shots at my desk as I try to finish up work for the day, and things look good so far. I am using a Minolta MD Adaptall-2 mount connected to a Fotodiox MD-NEX adapter right now, but will be ordering an Adaptall-2 to NEX adapter soon (I have the 01A, 103A, and 01F Teleconverter as well) to make an easier to manage setup. When I get a chance, I will post some pictures of it mounted up and some shots through the lens as well.

Sorry, I am super excited and don't know who else I could tell about my score that would understand ;)

Thanks for humoring me!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    the 52bb is an incredible piece of glass, you won't be disappointed!

• Like Like x 1
  3. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Awesome lens! I have the 'newer' version as well. I had to fix the aperture on mine as it was not opening all the way. Minor adjustment once I figured out how to do it. This is a fantastic lens, great as a portrait lens wide open. I sold my 85 1.8 nFD after I got this lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I took the lens out this evening for my son's school potluck in the park. I am impressed! It seemed super easy to focus, felt great to use, and the output is great so far.
    Since I was taking pictures of my kid with his friends, I am not going to share anything really, but here is a crop from his shirt.

(SOOC with crop only = ISO 100, 1/125 handheld probably f/4 with a moving subject)
    14217013540_3963059242_o.
    Tamron SP 90mm F/2.5 Test Crop 1
    by ferrjw, on Flickr

And here is a quick shot as I was walking to the car:

(SOOC = ISO 2000, 1/60 handheld probably f/2.5)
    14217034569_c5c73afa00_b.
    Tamron SP 90mm F/2.5 Test
    by ferrjw, on Flickr

I am looking forward to more shots with it this weekend when I have a bit more time.

I guess I will be keeping it ;)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  5. HabsFan

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Mine focuses very smooth through most of the range but is a little stiff at times closer to infinity, maybe 10'-infinity. I do find portrait focusing is a bit harder as there is not as much fine tuning when focusing on something further away.

Post back when you get the Adaptall - E-adapter. I'd be curious to see if it improves handling. Aperture adjustment on Adaptall lenses is always a bit loud and clunky

• Like Like x 1
  6. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    HabsFan, what adapter are you using? I think that with the MD to NEX with the Adaptall to MD combination, I am hitting infinity early. I am not certain yet, but I think that is the case.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

7. shnitz

shnitz TalkEmount Regular

Jun 15, 2014
    I love my adaptall lenses! I recently got rid of my 180mm f/2.5 to fund some non-photography related things. It is a legendary lens, but I just never used it enough to justify it. I still have my 52BB, but I've only really tried my Nikon 55mm f/2.8 on this camera. I should pull it out of storage, mine like yours is good as new, even still has the box!

• Like Like x 1
  8. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    wow! If it's the one I think it is (that sold about 2 weeks ago), you got an amazing deal on that! Shots look great!

-James

• Like Like x 1
  9. HabsFan

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I'm using MD/NEX adapter with Adaptall MD mount on lens. I think most cheap NEX adapters have the issue where you hit infinity a little early. I've seen this with other lenses as well. It's better than not hitting infinity at all! I had a 24mm Canon FD that did this but it was an issue with the lens.

I only checked to make sure I could get infinity focus on mine, but I don't recall it was at the stop on the lens.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    Are adaptalls good quality lenses as a general rule? Are there particularly good ones or bad ones out there?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

11. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Mingus2112 it was one I bought on eBay about 2 weeks ago. New in box. I think I paid $145 shipped. It was such an amazing deal! Like I said, I have been waiting for this lens for many years (originally listed after the 52 veraion, but I think I like the BB version better!) and the stars finally aligned for me! Thank you for the feedback on the shots! I will try to get some better ones that really show off what it can do! I will try and mount it up on the 01F to get a little better macro too. Now I want to find the matched extension tube for it too!

This is an awesome lens in my mind and I am very fortunate that I was able to get it for the price I did! The seller was great too btw!

12. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I will have to try it again on my MD/NEX fotodiox pro adapter. I was using it on the non pro version and just figured it was hitting infinity before the lens stopped because of the combination with the Adaptall ring (just a tiny bit too much extra in that stack was my thought) but that doesn't make much sense when I really think it through. I think you are right that it is probably the MD/NEX adapter that is the culprit. I will check tonight and let you know!

13. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I have always been very pleased with mine! The SP designated lenses are considered better than the no SP, but I think any of the BBAR coated lenses are good! I have not really ever heard of anyone who disliked their Adaptall2 lens, but I am sure they are out there...

Take a look at http://adaptall-2.org/ for more information on them. It is a great resource and I refer to it regularly.

14. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    well, I tried with my "Pro" version of the Fotodiox adapter and it seems to hit infinity are the right time (not early). this now leads me to a new problem...

I was planning on getting the dedicated AD2/NEX adapter to free up my 2 MD/NEX adapters to stay on Minolta lenses, but now I am wondering if I should go with the AD2/NEX Fotodiox (non pro version is the only one available in the AD2 mount), the Rainbow Imaging version (I have a Rainbow Imaging Rollei QBM/NEX which seems to be really loose so I am not too confident n the brand), a Pixco adapter, or an EzFoto. Does anyone have experience with an AD2/NEX adapter who would like to provide some input??? :D

Oh, got some better images today that i will post as soon as I can! Yep, officially love this lens!

15. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Here are some more shots. These were all handheld with a slight breeze... aperture varied between f/2.5 and f/8. All are SOOC except for the first one where I just adjusted white balance (which I did NOT do on the second image).
    I am having a lot of fun with this lens!!!

[​IMG]
    DSC04325.jpg by ferrjw, on Flickr

14288795428_282b5df7ca_b.
    DSC04342.jpg by ferrjw, on Flickr

14288763980_6550a19200_b.
    DSC04324.jpg by ferrjw, on Flickr

14495504523_c7fb3d73e7_b.
    DSC04313.jpg by ferrjw, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  16. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    I like Tamron Adaptall lenses, have owned a few. I had a 90 SP but ended up selling it because it didnt play well with the Speedbooster on my NEX 7. It is a very capable lens and a classic to boot. The only Adaptalls I have now are the 159a and 17a.

About the adapters, I seriously wouldn't obsess over it. Most of them are made in China, many times in the same factory, and buying a certain brand isnt a guarantee of getting one that works at infinity. There is sample variation present in adapters just like lenses. Some work, some dont. It is a total crap shoot so buy one that fits the budget and see if it works ok. If it doesnt just return it. The problem is that they are so cheap the return shipping kills getting you money back. You can spend big bucks on them, but there are plenty reviews online where people bought expensive adapters and had the same problem with them as the cheap ones.

Oh, here are the few keepers I had from my 90mm SP the short time I had it.

to be regarded warily
    8665134277_54cfd8bd9f_b.

a fence in three parts, No.3
    8666358605_8c5509801f_b.

a second to late
    8667459170_36cc04a30a_b.

fanning to keep cool
    8665135943_efb9cbeeec_b.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    like those colors!

i have the fotodiox tamron-nex adapter, it has very slight rotational play on the lens end, that doesn't affect anything.

the biggest issue is that it doesn't have a tripod mount.

i have probably a dozen cheap adapters, they all allow the lens focusing rings to rotate well past infinity.

the only infinity focus problem that i ever thought that i had was with one of my three fdn 24mm 2.8 lenses, and another brand of cheap adapter fixed it... lens problem, not adapter issue.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    Which speedbooster and what was the issue?

-J

19. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    After reading through all the input, I ended up ordering the Fotodiox AD2/NEX adapter last night. I hope that this copy is a bit better than my non pro version of my ND/NEX that u saw the infinity point reached before the rotation stopped.

I do now need to test and see if this issue is repeatable with a MD lens. My expectation is that it will repeat, but I will let you know!

20. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    Did you ever test with your MD lenses? Curious to see how you made out. I've been using the Fotodiox Pro with my MD lenses and haven't run into an issue so far.

-James