1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tamron 80-210mm f3.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by AK47J, Mar 1, 2014.

1. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Found this lens a while ago, hiding in a random box. Forgot about it for the longest time. Rediscovered it recently and got bored enough to test it out briefly.
    It is a Tamron 103A 80mm to 210mm f3.8/4
    Also with it is a Tamron 2X teleconverter.

tamron.jpg

with the teleconverter things get a little ridiculous!
    tamron2x.jpg

210mm f/4
    DSC05111.jpg

210mm f/32
    DSC05120.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I have that same combination! Originally, I used it on a Fujica AX5 then moved it to a Minolta SR mount for my XD11. I also used it on my Sony A500. It is now going to be doing some E Mount service. With the teleconverter, it is fun for macro giving a 1:1.

Keep us up to date on what you think of it! It is a great lens!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    I a big fan of Tamron adaptall lenses. Especially some of the smaller, compat zooms like the 01A and 17A. Tamron really put out some nice stuff during the old days.

It looks like the focal point of both your photos are the numbers on the sign. If this is the case they dont look incredibly sharp in either photo. This may be due to camera movement in the first photo along with diffraction added to that for the second photo since you shot that at f/32. Were these shot on a tripod or handheld, and with the teleconverter or without? Just curious.

4. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I have the 01A as well and absolutely love it! I am looking for the 90mm SP macro, but haven't jumped on one just yet.

AK47J - if you are interested in finding out more about the Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses, check out http://www.adaptall-2.org

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

5. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon

Both shots were just the lens at 210mm, no teleconverter. I was using a tripod, but it's not the best and this lens is heavy. The sky was overcast and there was a tiny bit of foggy haze in the air but I don't think that is what cause the lack of sharpness. I probably didn't have the focus just right (it is quite touchy) and the tripod/camera could have been moving.

Upon closer inspection using a flashlight I do see a small amount of dust/junk inside the lens, so maybe that is the problem?

6. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Whiteguy, I had the 90mm SP macro for a while and loved it. Ended up selling it because it vignetted on my Speedbooster pretty badly. Now that I have the A7 is wish I had kept it. :/ Here are some examples.

8665134277_54cfd8bd9f_c.jpg

8665135943_efb9cbeeec_c.jpg

AK, the dust inside could contribute to a lack of sharpness, but it would have to be a lot. The junk part of what you see might be more worrisome. If there is any separation of the elements or the glue is degrading then that can definitely effect the shot. Haze as well can muddy things up. But it could be something as simple as your tripod introducing vibration if it isnt a big heavy model or even that your shutter speed wasnt high enough. Not sure if your aware but your shutter speed should always be a dividend of the focal length you are using, so a 200mm lens should not be used with anything less then a 1/200th of a second shutter speed. Much higher should be used if possible.

And like I said, diffraction was probably effecting the F/32 shot. Any of the factors can come into play together to make an image less sharp then it should be.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    There isn't a lot of dust/stuff/junk. I wasn't paying attention to the shutter speed, I left the camera in "program" so it probably adjusted the shutter as I closed the aperture.
    Oh well. Whenever the weather decides to be nice I will experiment more with it.